Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Abyss SSL/TLS Certificates

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by complex1, Mar 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. complex1

complex1 Active Member

Hi,

I want to generate a private key and a CSR so I can secure data from/to the PBX.
    The 3CX PBX v12.5 is running on a Windows 8.1 Pro system so I have to use the Abyss Web Server.
    To generate the certificates I stopped all 3CX and Abyss processes. If all processes are running the issue is the same.
    If I double-click on the abyssws.exe, the Abyss Web Server window opens but the server is halted.
    In the same window I see the message “The console is not running”.
    Now I am stuck. Everything I do results in nothing. Also the “Abyss Web Server For Windows User's Guide” does not provide me an answer for this.
    Does anybody know how to generate a CSR and key to validate the Abyss Web Server?
    Some help is much appreciated. Please?

Thank you very much.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. sean.suntelnetworks

I'm in the same boat. Hopefully someone will help.

3. complex1

complex1 Active Member

I had forgotten all about this post so I have create a small roadmap for you how to import the certificates into the Abyss Webserver.
    It is definitely not idiot proof, but only intend to point you into the right direction.

1. Create/buy a (none-self signed) certificate. Only the *.crt and *.key files are important.
    2. Copy these files to C:\Program Files\3CX PhoneSystem\Bin\Webserver\kcstore
    3. Goto C:\Program Files\3CX PhoneSystem\Bin\Webserver
    4. Edit abyss.conf to get access the Webserver
    a. search <console> <port> and change 0 in 9999
    5. Start abyssws.exe and add the two certificates. Delete the old once
    6. Edit abyss.conf again and check/change the commandrules as below
    Code:
    	<certificates>
    		<pkeys>
    			<pkey>
    				<name>
    					3CXWebserver     (change with your cert. name)
    				</name>
    				<file>
    					3CXWebserver.key (change with your cert.key)
    				</file>
    			</pkey>
    		</pkeys>
    		<certs>
    			<cert>
    				<name>
    					3CXWebservercert (change with your cert. name)
    				</name>
    				<pkey>
    					3CXWebserver     (change with your cert. name)
    				</pkey>
    				<file>
    					3CXWebserver.crt (change with your cert.crt)
    				</file>
    			</cert>
    		</certs>
    	</certificates>

Hope this help.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. roadwings

Complex1, thank you for this helpful detailed information. This definitely helps, but it seems that abyss does not want to play along and there still are a few undocumented steps to successfully install a certificate on 12.5. I followed complex1's instructions and I see where he is going with those instructions. Step 4.a configures abyss to allow console access to the 9999 port, which is otherwise disabled. The console will allow you to install a certificate (in theory).

After fighting with this for a few hours the other day, I decided that I would recreate the certificate and start from scratch when I have more time. I thought I would ask to see if anyone else has any ideas before I fight with this again.

Can you go into a little more detail about step 1 and step 5? What kind of certificate did you install? Did you generate your own certificate with SimpleCA and follow some of the instruction published for the other versions of 3CX? I have since recovered the old abyss.conf and now abyss is asking for a registration name and key when I try to access the console. I think I can fix this by using a backup copy of the abyss.conf or as a last resort reinstalling 3CX, (which I really don't want to do, but should probably do before installing a certificate)

What happens when you copy and paste the Certificate and Key information into the 3CX console vs Installing into Abyss directly? Should we do both, or one not the other? Any input from anyone else?

5. framos

Hi all, i don't understand how to make the request of csr?
    you can be more clear please.

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.