• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Abyss vs IIS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cynthia Slade

Reaction score
Just wondering if there is a performance difference using Abyss vs IIS?

Some of our installs will be going on WIN 8 computers and besides the 10 connection limit. Is the connection limit extensions, lines or both?

Thank you in advance for your feedback. :)

Cynthia Slade said:
besides the 10 connection limit. Is the connection limit extensions, lines or both?

Are you talking about a 10 concurrent call licence? If so, then it is 10 concurrent conversations. So, extension to trunk, extension to extension, etc. counts as one conversation. There is no set limit on number of extensions or trunks, other than what is practical in your particular situation.

You can't or is not recommended to use 32-bit Abyss on 64-bit Windows installations.
IIS looks more advanced as operation, Abyss usually restarts at 4 a.m. each night, etc.
Some operating systems (like 2003) require using of Abyss.

The vesion 11 manual states:
On Windows 7 and 8 IIS will enforce a 10 connection limit. Choose Abyss if this is an issue or install on a server operating system.

I have been told this is 10 IP addresses. (Myphone, extensions)

Windows non-server OS's have always had a limit of 10 connections - not sure how this relates to IIS vs Abyss.

Cynthia:

On a non server OS (Like 2008R2 or 2012) Abyss is a perfectly good choice, on server OSes you should use IIS. In general, Abyss is good to 100 extensions but after 35 I would always use a server OS, 2008R2 Web edition is very price competitive.

3CX support will encourage you to use IIS. Our experience shows a 50% reduction in CPU utilization with IIS compared to Abyss when the server is under a heavy load.

sigma1 said:
...2008R2 Web edition is very price competitive.

Agreed (we are using it). However, it has been discontinued for Server 2012 so I don't know if you can still purchase a license.

See this link for the upgrade path: http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/networking/microsoft-announces-four-windows-server-2012-editions-what-you-need-to-know/5775

If you have active SA on the 2008 Web edition then you get a copy of 2012 Std as an upgrade.

Agreed, 2008R2 Web OEM is getting hard to find. I guess that 2012 Essentials could do the job. I need to check and make sure that the 25 connection limit does not limit IIS connections.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.