Access-Rights - no way!

Discussion in 'Android' started by real_skydiver, Nov 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. real_skydiver

After being a professional Software Architect for over 15 years, I decided to start my own business. For contacting some of my clients I use Lync from my Desktop Computer. Some others prefer regular phone calls. My thought was, to setup one of the machines underneath my desk as a sort of 'communication centre', with Lync on it - and VoIP for regular calls (through a ISDN Gateway). That way, I could use the same (USB-)headset, for all of my calls. Also a big benefit would be to have a Soft-Phone on my Android. That way, I could answer phone calls if I'm not on my desk (but still within the range of my WiFi).

While I was digging into Asterisk, I stumbled across 3CX. I got curious, the price for 4 sim. calls seams reasonable considering the save in time (when installing my own Asterisk). Funny though, being a relatively paranoid person when it gets to security - I though I might look into the Android app firstly - and I was shocked. The access rights are simply out of range. I do not need another software on the phone that uploads my entire contacts list, reads my emails and whatever else in that matter. And that was pretty much the end of my visit here (except for writing this text).

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Did you bother to investigate why it has access to that?

3. ian.watts

ian.watts Active Member

Those are the rights the app wants granted to it when you install.. not much can be done beyond that to investigate. I can understand how somebody sees that as overreaching permissions, though.

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

What I was implying is that the permissions, such as access to contact list and emails are so that the phone integrates with your contacts, allowing you to use that list to place calls, and to be able to receive a configuration email for a new user. It doesn't mean that that the App actively searches out this information on your phone and then sends it on to 3CX. The current versions of the 3CX phone (11 &12) are no longer a stand alone SIP application to be used with any provider you choose.

I can certainly understand the paranoia/reluctance these days given what some Apps (and OSs for that matter) have been "caught" doing behind our backs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.