Accessing Voicemail from physical phone

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by marcusjclifford, Apr 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marcusjclifford

I have a strange situation regarding voicemail.

I have a number of extensions setup, four softphones and one physical phone (Cisco SPA504G) - on all the softphones dialing 800 (the number I allocated to voicemail during server setup) accesses my voicemail and I am prompted for PIN as expected. On the Cisco phone though dialing 800 does nothing - the line is activated but there is only silence.

The extensions are all setup in the same way, with the Voicemail checkbox checked.

Thanks in advance,
    Marcus

2. albertc

Based on the two previous post I've answered, it seem like you may not have your cisco phone provision correctly. Double check all setting on your cisco phone and make sure your dhcp server option 66 is set correctly. If you are located in the US, using extension 800 as the voice mail extension is not ideal since it may create conflict with some dial plans and your phone may mistakenly treating the dial has not complete.

3. marcusjclifford

Thanks for your reply.
    I'm not using DHCP Option 66, but provisioned the phones following the "Provisioning without using DHCP Option 66" from this page: http://www.3cx.com/sip-phones/Cisco-SPA.html

The phone is working as expected - I can make and receive calls and the Voicemail number called is set correctly as are other things like the date time etc - also the phone automatically updated its firmware when provisioned, so I believe I have set it up correctly.

I'm in the UK, and the emergency number (like 911) in the UK is 999 so I changed the voicemail number from that for safety.

Voicemail to the extension is also working, as I set it up (as a test) to email the voicemail to an email address, and that works exactly as expected.

It just seems calling 800 (my voicemail number) just does not work... I don't believe 800 is a reserved number is it? on 3CX or Cisco?

Any other ideas very welcome.

Thanks
    Marcus

4. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

I don't recall but can you change vm number after setup? maybe try 555 or something just to see if the Cisco will work with another number besides 800.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. efounco

efounco New Member

By default, extension 800 is assigned for a multicast paging feature that's built into the Cisco SPA50x phones. When you dial 800#, the display on the phone will read "All". At that time, you will be broadcasting a multicast page to ALL the SPA50x phones on the network. This is a Cisco SPA50x "feature", other non-SPA50x phones are not effected by the multicast.

To turn this feature off, add the following line to your provisioning template for the SPA50x phones and re-provision them:
    Group_Paging_Script group="Phone/Multiple_Paging_Group_Parameters"></Group_Paging_Script>

If you want to continue using the feature on a different extension (i.e. 1000), you can simply configure it like this:
    Group_Paging_Script group="Phone/Multiple_Paging_Group_Parameters">pggrp=224.168.168.168:34560;name=All;num=1000;listen=yes;</Group_Paging_Script>

It's a really nice feature if you have lots of SPA50x phones on the network...

6. marcusjclifford

efounco, thank you for your reply.

Over the weekend, as a test, I changed the voicemail number from 800 to another number and it immediately started working.

Your in-depth reasoning is very useful to know.
    Is that (and other relevant information) available anywhere? There is no reference to it I could find in the PDF manual that came with the phone.

Thanks
    Marcus

Problem Resolved.
    Solution: Change Voicemail number away from a Cisco specific special number (800) via 3CX admin interface and reprovision phone.

7. efounco

efounco New Member

No, I don't think it's documented anywhere because it's a Cisco feature, not a 3CX feature. I simply ran into the same problem trying to setup our phone system. We actually implemented the multicast feature into our extensions scheme and use it for exclusively for interoffice paging. It works better for paging than the 3CX paging groups because it doesn't require an extension.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.