Activation and Failover

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by greg@summitrad, Feb 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greg@summitrad

We have setup the Active/Passive Failover per the 3CX Documentation. The parts we can see (Backups and Restoers) are working fine. We would like to test it Of Course! What I want to find out, and so far haven't been able to find, does failover to another server and then back affect activation? I understand each license has a finite number of activations available. My two specific questions (related to each other)

1)When I switch to the backup system, does it re-activate the license?

2)When I switch back to my primary system, does it need to re-activate the license again, since it "may" have just been activated on the backup? (If there is no activation issue, then this question doesn't really matter).

I hope the answer is no; however, I have held off on my testing until I find out for user. We are a 24Hours / 7 Days / 365 Days of Year operation, so having Failover is a bonus for us. I just want to be sure there are no gotchas surrounding it.

Thank you so much for your time, and any assistance would be appreciated.

Greg

2. greg@summitrad

Apparently the answer is that it WILL re-activate. The MAC address of the machine will change, so the system will need to re-activate. So if you are going to test failover, move back to your primary from the failover machine OR even to make sure you are ready for a failover event, you need to make sure you have enough activations left. You only get a limited amount without your reseller having that number reset.

Greg

3. eagle2

eagle2 Well-Known Member

This is a question to 3CX, explanation of license policy needed. Even you purchase 2 licenses, still during backup/restore procedure the slave server will receive master server license key, which means license activation (because of different MAC addresses, etc.). The number of activations is limited (to 5, as far as I know), so theoretically you will very soon run out of having valid license.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.