Active / Active Live Sync

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by viuga, Oct 25, 2017.

Active / Active Live Sync 5 5 3votes
5/5, 3 votes

1. viuga

Two Active PBX where both is Active and syncing live rather than a backup/restore. Both to run on an Enterprise Key or both with two different Pro Keys.

PBX2 to takeover immediately once PBX1 is unreachable and vice versa.
    Local clients to be provisioned with a Internal FQDN which is managed by an Internal DNS.

Such a feature coming anytime soon?

2. Silly English Kniggit

This should be what the enterprise key does, I know it doesn't - but it should. However given what I know about how 3CX failover detection works - they're need to fix that properly first.

Unreachable by what, from where? If PBX2 can't see PBX1 does that mean the users can't - not necessarily. Users might be on the site with PBX1 - inter-site link goes down, which causes PBX2 to take over, change the DNS, register the SIP trunks & take the calls - or lockout the SIP trunk so neither get calls.

There are issues with that - DNS caching is a real problem, including caching by 3CXPhone itself - even once the PC knows the correct IP - 3CXPhone still uses the old one (at least sometimes). Some hardware devices only ever look up the IP once and ignore all TTL settings etc.

If you want this reliable and quick - there must be an option of using IP based failover (CARP etc), and for flexibility you need DNS based options too.

I agree with the idea - but practically the current failover system has many challenges, including those hard coded in by 3CX (which are amongst the worst). Practically, the current 3CX failover system is something it has so it can say it has it - it's quite clear it wasn't designed to work reliably in real life.

If this is going to work - I'd like to see the option of "be ready but wait until I tell you" - to deal with some of the issues around false-positive failover taking the system down due to a non-impacting problem.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...