Actual Meaning of VoiP Gateway

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by kwoodrin, Sep 7, 2007.

1. kwoodrin

I hope I am not out of line asking this question, but I have read a LOT of information about VoiP gateways and yet, not having actually seen one in use, I am left with one question that I do not feel has been concretely answered by anything that I have read.

So I am a little unclear on the exact capability of a VoiP gateway. Let me clarify myself.

My question is basically this: Can a VoiP gateway (ie: a Linksys SPA3102) allow me to take my single analog line provided by my telco and bring it into the VoiP server where I may then route the call to a particular phone via, say, a digital attendant?

I have seen many examples where a standard phone is hooked through a gateway, so that it can gain access to the VoiP phone network, however, I want to be concrete in that THAT is NOT what I am looking for. What I am looking to do is place a VoiP phone at 4 workstations and have any one person be able to pick up a VoiP phone and place an outbound call over our single analog line (assuming that it is not currently busy).

I have tried to be as descriptive as possible in hopes that someone can answer my question properly. However, please feel free to ask for further clarification.

I am VERY interested in making use of the advanced features of 3CX, but not if I cannot place an outbound call from any VoiP phone configured with 3CX and have that call routed out over our single analog line provided by the telco.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Mirzab

Mirzab Member

YES. To connect a PSTN Line to the 3CX Server you require a Gateway such as the Linksys SPA3102 (FXO Port).

As you are aware, to connect an analog phone set to the 3CX Server you require an ATA such as the Linksys PAP2 (FXS Ports).

The Linksys SPA3102 is capable of interfacing a single PSTN Line with 3CX but can be difficult to configure. Though from personal experience (I have one) I can say that they perform great once you get them working. I would suggest some research before choosing the final brand and model.

On this page http://www.3cx.com/support/ 3CX has grouped ATAs, IP phones and softphones under the label "SIP Phone Configuration Guides", and Gateways under the label "VOIP Gateway Configuration Guides". I guess they wanted to ensure no confusion :oops:

3. dyntech

dyntech New Member

I would add that you may want to consider a four port gateway, even if you only use one line right now it gives you the flexibility to add more in the future.

4. kwoodrin

Thank you for your help Mirzab. I was hoping that I was understanding correctly the function of a VoiP gateway (or at least one of the possible functions) and it appears that I am.

Dyntech, I appreciate your thoughts on a 4 port gateway. My intentions are actually to do just that: to purchase a 4 port gateway after doing some more research. I just wanted to simplify the discussion by using a gateway that I know to be a single PSTN port model as ab example. I figured if the single port model could accomplish what I was asking, that a multi-port would certainly be able to, and also allow for lines.

Thank you so much for both of your thoughts. I will be doing some more research and when I finally dive in, I will post some details on my success with this project.