ad-hoc conference >3 calls

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by jroback, May 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jroback

I see that most SIP phones support 3 person ad-hoc conferencing right on the phone, but I was hoping to be able to do up to 6 party conferencing to match the feature set of other systems. I noticed that the yealink T4 series support the use of a "network conference" via RFC 4579, which then supports up to 16 people (depending on the yealink model). This allows adding people by simply using the 'conference' button to join people to a conference.

Does the 3CX support this functionality? And if not, could it be added with a custom configuration?

Thanks,
    Jeff

2. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

As you said the number of participants in a conference call depends on the model of your phone, if the phone supports multiple lines then you can have multiple participants. For large conference calls though i would recommend using the 3CX phone for windows which supports up to 32 participants (that also depends on the license you have).

Read the following guide for more details

http://www.3cx.com/user-manual/call-conference/

Hope this helps

3. jroback

Thanks for your thoughts on this. Though I'm not looking for the phone itself to be able to bridge more than 3 calls, I'm looking to have the phone use the 3cx server as a conference bridge to achieve more calls.

The yealink manual refers to this as "Network conference, also known as centralized conference, provides users with flexibility of call with multiple participants (more than three). IP phones implement network conference using the REFER method specified in RFC 4579. This feature depends on support from a SIP server."'

to use this you set the yealink value account.X.conf_type to 2 (Network Conference)
    and you set account.X.conf_uri to the SIP URI of a conference server.

So I was hoping the 3CX Server would be able to act as a conference server, supporting the RFC4579 REFER commands from the Yealink.

Do you know if the 3CX would support this? This functionality is very important to us.

Thanks!

4. YiannisH_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

I am afraid this functionality is not supported by the 3CX server at this moment and is untested.

You could post this at the ideas section and perhaps it will be supported in future builds

http://www.3cx.com/forums/3cx-ideas-f57.html

5. briankayser

I would like to see this functionality also!!

However, I have a Grandstream2160 phone that I'm testing and with it I can make a 6-way conference on the phone. I like Yeaklinks but am disappointed in the ability to only do a 3-way call.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. briankayser

I tried to PM you but it just sits in my OUTBOX. Are you configured to allow PMs?
    Can you send me a PM me?

I have a potential (unsupported) solution using 3CX's conference server with Yealinks... but don't really want to advertise it right now.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. danilobrambilla

Hello, I am trying to achive > 3 way conference with Yealink T48G and 3CX, can you please describe your solution? Is it tested and working? Thank you in advance

8. YiannisH_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

3 way conference is possible with the Yealink T48 Call the first number once the call is answered place that call on hold. then press the new call button and once the second call in answered press the conference button.
    this will initiate a 3 way conference

9. jroback

Thanks, but what we're looking to do is establish a 5 or 6 way conference in this manner. The yealink phones support this, but it appears 3cx does not. this is a critical feature for people coming from Shoretel that are used to being able to do this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.