ad-hoc fails to call external phone numbers

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Ben C, May 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben C

Hi
    I have an issue with ad-hoc conferencing on 3CX phone for windows and android (haven't tried on iPhone or Mac).
    3CX is not able to call external phone numbers, it says "Call failed - Redial". I try to redial by clicking on the green handset icon, but nothing happens (see attachment). Have I missed something?
    Based on this article http://www.3cx.com/user-manual/call-conference/, ad-hoc should call external phone numbers, right?

Thank you
    Ben

Attached Files:

2. AndreasP_3CX

AndreasP_3CX New Member
    3CX Support

Hi Ben

When you specified your outbound rules did you set specific extensions in the outbound rule that can call out through those rules? As the call is being made by the PBX in this case you need to have an outbound rule that is not limited to extensions that can dial out so the system can call the external numbers. Can you try this and let us know if this works?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Ben C

It works, thank you.

Why the conference (system extension) needs a separate outbound rule?

Thanks again

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Is it a separate outbound rule, or is it that, in the existing rule, you specified (didn't leave blank) which extension could use it? If you specified that only certain extensions could use it, then , yes, I could see that you would have to add any additional "extensions" to allow then access. It allows control over who, or what, can dial out.

5. Ben C

My rule was: "Calls from extension(s): blank".
    I thought it would include 'conference extension' too.

I made another outbound rule for 'conference extension' only, which is good cause I can change the rights to call overseas when needed.

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Initially I would have assumed that , if left blank, the "rule" could be used by all. Rethinking it, I suppose that security concerns require that this "loop-hole", that could be exploited, not be left open, and the fact that a specific rule is required, is probably a good thing for your phone bill.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.