Add "Idle" As a Status Option

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by epeterson, Jun 2, 2016.

Add "Idle" As a Status Option 5 5 1votes
5/5, 1 vote

1. epeterson

I wish there was a highly configurable "Idle" status that would log out of queue(s), but also still accept direct calls. Many people here work with paper and pencil so changing them to "Away" would result in missed calls even though they are at their desk and able to take calls. Idle status would also be helpful for transferring calls as you could do an attended transfer when someone has idle status to make sure they are actually at their desk and able to accept the call. Less than 10% of my users change their status manually, kinda defeats the purpose of status when >90% of users are "Available" 24x7x365.

2. NickD_3CX

NickD_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

The Extension Profile is separate from the Queue Status of an Extension.

The default dial codes are:
    *30 - Available
    *31 - Away
    *32 - Do not Disturb
    *33 - (Custom 1)
    *34 - (Custom 2)

*62 - Queue Log In
    *63 - Queue Log Out

Given the above, you can be in Available (*30) but logged out of the Queue (*63).

From the 3CXPhone client this is really easy to change as there are soft buttons for both of the above.
    For deskphones, you can assign Queue Log In/Out to BLF keys for the users and instruct them to use those for the 'Idle' state you are referring to as they don't use the Extension Profiles as much.

Given the above, moving this topic back to "3CX Phone System - General" for further discussion.

3. epeterson

<10% of my users will go to all the work of pushing a button or clicking something, they just walk away from their desks. If users weren't lazy and were easy to train 80% of IT professionals wouldn't have jobs. I as the IT professional want to force upon my users an automated system for doing what I know they will never do (but without negative consequences of dropping all calls in voicemail just because they're at their desk working with paper and pencil).

4. NickD_3CX

NickD_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

I understand the importance of automation, but I just can't understand be re-reading your initial suggestion where the automation comes in.

Also I cannot understand how you would want the system to understand when to set the Profile to:
    - Available: when the user is at their desk, can accept direct calls and queue calls
    - Idle: when the user is at their desk, can accept direct calls bu cannot accept queue calls
    - Away: User is not at their desk.
    And all of the above, without even the slightest human interaction.

It may be easier for me and others to understand what you are suggesting if you gave use case example.

5. epeterson

Available: They have touched their computer with 5 minutes. Log in to queue. Ring normal (20 seconds then voicemail).

Idle: They have not touched their computer within the last 5 minutes. They may be available or away, we don't know. Log them out of Queue to be safe, but still allow direct dials and transfers to ring.

Away: The user actually changed their status to "Away", act as "Away" (logged out of queue, no ring - direct to vociemail).

Instead of the softphone changing status to "Away" when it doesn't sense mouse and keyboard interaction change status to "Idle" which logs them out of queue(s) and allows us to configure a ring profile (i.e. ring 10 seconds then fwd to voicemail). A switchboard presence color would also be helpful so the receptionist would be able to do blind transfers when "Available" and do attended transfers when "Idle" (to make sure the person really is at their desk before doing the transfer).

6. NickD_3CX

NickD_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Granted, moving back into 'Ideas'.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Brilliant suggestion. My clients would love this feature as well. That could be a killer CallCenter feature as well, especially if that could be tied back into reporting. My clients would kill for a "'time spent in 'Idle' mode" report!