Adding an incoming call to an existing adhoc conference call

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by personal6, Jun 17, 2016.

1. personal6

I spoke with 3CX tech support to ask them how to add an incoming call to an ongoing (existing) conference call. After testing out a few ideas, I was told that it wasn't possible.

Does anyone know of a way to add an incoming call to an already-in-progress conference call?

If it isn't possible, this would be a useful capability to add, as it is a capability that I've taken for granted in older systems.

2. personal6

I found a solution to this need, although 3CX should still consider how they might update the conferencing function to achieve the same end-result.

I deleted the "Conferencing Gateway" portion of the provisioning template for my extension and re-provisioned the extension. The effect is that the "native" conferencing functionality of the phone (Snom 870, in my case) is allowed to function, rather than the conferencing being managed by 3CX. By allowing the Snom 870 to manage the conference, the ability to add an additional party to the conference not only works under those circumstances where it is necessary to dial out to the party that needs to be added to the conference, but a party that's calling in after the conference has already started can also be easily added to that conference. In the case of the Snom 870, the conference is limited to 4 outside calls plus the individual who is setting up the conference via the phone for a total of 5 participants.

A few additional benefit of using the native conferencing functionality of the phone include:

- It is very easy to "drop" a party from the conference after their participation is no longer needed--without having to wait for that party to actually hang up.
    - Being able to dial-out to add an additional party to the conference is useful in those circumstances when it is necessary to navigate an auto-attendant before reaching the individual that's being added to the conference.

Depending on the ease-of-use of the native conferencing function in the particular IP phone you're using, this solution may or may not be ideal. In the case of the Snom 870, the native conferencing functionality is exceptionally flexible and intuitive. That combined with the need to be able to add a party to an already-established conference makes this solution ideal for my circumstance until 3CX addresses this issue.

This approach doesn't defeat, interfere with or otherwise disable any of the other methods that 3CX offers for setting up and managing a conference call, such as using the 3CX desktop app.

3. jroback

It appears that Yealink phones have the ability to do this, but still leaving the server as the bridge instead of the phone (which allows more participants but same ease of use).

The yealink manual refers to this as "Network conference, also known as centralized conference, provides users with flexibility of call with multiple participants (more than three). IP phones implement network conference using the REFER method specified in RFC 4579. This feature depends on support from a SIP server."'

to use this you set the yealink value account.X.conf_type to 2 (Network Conference)
    and you set account.X.conf_uri to the SIP URI of a conference server.

So I was hoping the 3CX Server would be able to act as a conference server, supporting the RFC4579 REFER commands from the Yealink.

Would be great if 3CX could support this. This functionality is one of the last things I have to find a workaround for to get clients off of Shoretel....

Jeff