ADSL2 Modem and VOIP Gateway with 3CX

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by it208, Jul 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. it208

Hi i was wondering what the typical setup needs to be if i have an ADSL 2 Modem which then goes into a VOIP gateway which then connects to the 3CX server.

More specifically if the VOIP gateway has 2 telephone ports and one internet port. How does my ADSL router know where its line is if its connected directly to the VOIP gateway?

At the moment i connect a LAN cable from the internet port of the VOIP gateway into my ADSL 2 modem but i have no internet?

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I take it that this is a modem/router/ATA combination box. If that's the case then it probably eliminates the use of port 5060 and (probably 5061), for 3CX as those are most likely dedicated to the ATA ports. You would have to confirm this.

If you are allowed access to settings in the unit, there are a few things you can try. You can set-up 3CX to use another port, other than 5060/5061, and forward the chosen port to the local IP used by the 3CX server. This may still have some issues with the "voice ports" used by 3CX if the internal ATA is dedicated to some.

The other option, if the "unit" and your provider allows, is to turn one of the LAN ports into a bridge port. Many ISP's allow users more than one public IP. If you can bridge the second public IP to a LAN port, then you can plug in another router that is completely isolated (it has a separate public IP).

If this isn't your configuration, then you need to provide more information on your set-up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.