Advice about Upgrading to the lastest Any Version

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by jelliott52, Oct 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jelliott52

Hi All,

I've seen a lot of post about upgrading to version 8. I've installed phone system of varies sizes and forms for over 15 years. Here's some advice to save you from a bad day. Don't do it in a production environment, simple enough. This software has only been released for a very short time and I've seen some post about upgrade gone bad. The best rule is Test, test and test some more. In a production environment your customer or your company is depending on you to make the proper choice. That one feature isn't going to make or break the customer, but a bad upgrade will ! The tech support guys and gals can only help some much, they don't know your environment or how you have things glued or duct taped together.

With that being said. TEST, TEST, TEST, it only takes an extra 1 - 2 weeks to run test after hours or during lunch time to see where the problems my arise.

Just MY 2 cents worth.

Jay

2. KerryG

KerryG Active Member

I also recommend keeping an archive of the different versions of the software you have installed. If you do an upgrade and something is dorked up or breaks something, just uninstall it, reinstall the known working version, and then restore your backup.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I would just keep a spare PC on hand just for doing upgrades. Leave it it with the customer, running with the new version. If, after week (or two) there are no issues then install the new version on their system. If something goes awry you can continue to run with your PC until you work out the bugs with theirs.

4. Jazzar

I understand what you guys are saying , however if V8 for example becomes a release candidate then I assume that it would have been through rigorous Alpha then beta testing and therefore should not have ANY major issues that "break things " and as far as I can see and know to my cost that doesn't seem to be the case.

5. jelliott52

Jazzar,
    Yes in theroy you are correct. But has the software been tested in YOUR environment, that's the key. Everyone's plaform is different. I might install it on Win XP SP2 and the next person might install it on Win XP SP 3. They try and duplicate most issues, but there are just way to many variables to account for.

Some of the younger techs might say we don't move fast enough, plan to much. But I find my installs usually go just fine after I've given myself a chance to see how the software is going to react in my environment.

Jay

6. TwigsUSAN

Unfortunately I can say that I have seen some product that have done through Alpha, Beta and a couple of RC, and had a MAJOR issue. Just look at Microsoft. They have had it occur where they were getting ready to go RTM, and discovered a stopper.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.