Advice needed

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by rudym, Aug 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rudym

Hi all,

I working with a potential client and i am looking to some advice. This clint is already running 3CX with extension connected via VPN. They are now considering expanding the system to 5 locations and interconnecting them using a combination of SIP and PSTN lines.

I would like your advice on three thing

1 - Which PTSN gateway works best and is must reliable.

2 - Which SP phone is recomended.

3 - Has anyone worked with a SIP phone with build in VPN client, is so wich one.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

RudyM

2. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

Grandstream and Patton are the two most mentioned as being favored here in the forums. They are both supported by 3CX and I have used both with good success and 0 failures between either brand. The differences that I have been able to glean from comments are: 1) Grandstream is the less expensive model, but also not perceived as being as robust as Patton. 2) While more expensive, Patton reportedly has the better technical support and therefore more apt to be able to deal with less than optimal conditions.

I can say that I have used both models and I encourage you to stay with a supported make/model. I personally have not had any issue with either make of product and I have not had to use Patton support. I have used Grandstream support and they have been generally quite responsive. You do not mention which country you are located and this may influence your experience versus mine. The Grandstream is highly configurable through a web inteface with its settings and meanings relatively straight forward. The Patton is provisioned by 3CX which generates a template for download into the Patton device. This is as easy as it gets, but I am uncertain if the template adapts to where the device will be used if outside the US. They (Pattion) too have a web interface for manual settings, but it is a little more complex to navigate and find what settings you may beed to change. The number of ports needed may influence your decision.

As far as phones go, you might be better served understanding what the client currently has in place and his satisfaction with same. It may be worthwhile to simply replicate that which they have as this will provide for a commonality of hardware and presumably ease training and future trouble shooting.

The top of the line Cisco 525G, Yealinks T38 & T32 as well as the Grandstream GXV3140 I think all support open VPN. I do not think Polycom does, and am uncertain about Aastra. From what I can see it appears that the more feature laden, higher cost phones are more apt to have...but you will pay the premium for all the features and not just for the VPN client. Again, stay with a supported phone it will ease your installation considerably and you are more apt to get answers in the event issues arise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.