Advice on AWS Setup

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by cydney, Apr 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cydney

Good day and hello.

I have read over a few posts about others that have been using AWS as there host for there 3CX and felt that it might be better if I just posted for a little more direct questioning, advice on my part.

A little back story before I go any further. For the last month we have been evaluating several PBS solutions, finally settling on 3CX. For the last month our testing PBX is/was running on AWS (Amazon Web Services). The testing was limited to myself and about ten (12) others of various departments. So for the time the system was not very robust and basically the minimum EC2 instance that Debian could run on. (1vCPU, 1GB mem, 8GB Storage)

Now that we are planning on licensing the system and moving forward with preparations for deployment I have been studying up on the system. While everything documentation wise is great and the forums extremely helpful, to me it is still no substitute real world live operations.

I felt that this might be a good place to ask for some input/suggestions for those of you that are already using the system in a similar way. Below is a tentative deployment idea’s we have been working with.

Instance Spec
    • Instance spec is a single t2.medium EC2 Instance (2vCPU, 4GB mem).
    • We are gearing to use the 16ch Pro license.
    • We only have about ten (10) people that will use the system daily at about 10 to 20min per call. Around 40 to 50 calls per day.

Storage/Volume size for recordings...
    • EFS Volume (Elastic File System – 2nd HDD for simplistic sake.) and the OS/PBX would be on a smaller volume 8-12GB. The EFS would be just for your call recordings. I would be interested to hear from anyone that might have used this solution.
    • Is one large Volume preferable?

I’m just curious of what others are using in their AWS scenarios and if you have suggestions?

Thanks in advanced for your insight. :3

2. AlexDBarrett

Don't use AWS however I do have a number of systems in GCS which are 4SC up to 32SC.
    The system chosen is g1-small (1vCPU 1.7Gb memory), works a treat.
    Maybe you can match this in AWS

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. cydney

Thanks Alex that is helpful I believe I my have over budgeted system wise.

Might I ask, are you using the instance type (g1-small) all of your PBX deployments? 4SC to 32SC

I think my biggest question is the amount of storage I'm going to need for recordings.

4. AlexDBarrett

Sorry for not coming back to you sooner.

Don't yo mean under budget?

All instances are (g1-small 1.7Gb) within our tenants.
    The Sendgrid VM is f1-micro .6Gb as this only handles Voicemail, if you set this for extensions, alerts and provisioning.
    We have set a base storage of 25Gb for recordings.
    Beyond this we adjust according to clients requirements up to 100Gb.
    It really comes down to what your call traffic is, what call duration is and how long you want to keep recordings.
    You could strip these out of the VM but then it gets messy trying to sort recordings, let 3CX handle it.
    Last comment remember that 1 minute of audio = 1Mb.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. AGidi

You are correct, give or take 1mb 1 minute, the "issue" is its wav. Im too worried about storage like this. Im new on Google cloud.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.