Advice on codecs and operating system

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by SteveY, Nov 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveY

Hello

I have been trialling the free version 8 of 3CX on XP Pro for a couple of weeks and am very impressed. I am planning to instal the 32SC Enterprise edition for one of our clients who have HQ in UK with a remote call centre. I have a couple of questions regarding codecs and operating system.

Codecs

At the call centre I am planning to use the 3CX softphone, whilst at the HQ I hope to a Grandstream GXW4024 to serve the existing analogue phones. As the call centre is remote, bandwidth is limited, and G711 is not really an option. The only low bit rate codec used by both the softphone and the GXW4024 is iLBC (allegedly). I say allegedly, because when I configure the order of codecs on the 3CX softphone it only shows PCMU, PCMA and GSM as available. Undeterred, I have downloaded and installed the X-Lite softphone which does support iLBC. I got this to work without any problem. However, when I configure X-Lite to use iLBC only, I get no audio from the 3CX pbx (dialling voice mail for the IVR message). Selecting GSM or G711 on the X-Lite works OK.

So my question - is iLBC supportd by both the softphone and 3CX pbx or am I missing something?

Operating System

As mentioned I have installed this on Win XP Pro. One of the install screens informed me that Cassini is good for 25 extensions max and IIS should be used for larger systems. (On the other hand, however, there do appear to be restrictions with IIS - 10 connections which can be increased to 40.) However, when it came to choosing there was no option - IIS cannot be used on XP Pro with 3CX Version 8.

My problem is that the proposed system will start with around 50 extensions increasing to 100 over the next year. Although XP Pro sounds like a non-starter, most of the extensions will have My Phone disabled, although they will be using the Phone Assistant, and there will only ever be one, possibly two, people logging on to the pbx management console at a time. If XP Pro is not up to it, which OS should I go for? I would rather steer clear of Vista and go for Windows 7, but this doesn't appear in the list of supported systems. I really don't want to got to the expense of Windows Server 2003 or 2008. Any advice or recommendation would be welcome.

Apologies for the length of this post.

Many thanks

Steve

2. comresource

comresource Member

I cant speak for the codec question but for a 50 extension system..dont cut corners on your hardware/OS. Get a business class machine with a Server OS, I recommend Server 2008 Foundation. We have serveral of these installed and they are perfect for a dedicated 3CX box. Can be had around 1K$ US from DELL.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Having XP and 50-100 Extensions is like moving to another house and having a donkey carry your 52Inch LCD Screen.

I've been running Vista Enterprise for half a year now which has not showed any problems for me, though as you said i'd steer clear from other versions of Vista, but Enterprise is good Imo.
    I would of suggested 2003 but it's quickly getting out of Date with all these new 2008 Server OS's.

My Suggestions are:
    Vista Enterprise / Windows 7 / 2008 if you can afford it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.