Advice setting up 3CX with 2 x PSTN lines

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by fistameeny, Apr 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fistameeny

Hi,
    I'm looking to setup 3CX with 2 x PSTN telephone lines and need some advice as to the best way to do it. I have:
    • 3CX v15 running on a server (physical box, Debian, free license)
    • 3 x Yealink IP phones (T26p and W52)
    • 1 x Linksys SPA3102
    • 2 x PSTN lines (I'm in the UK, they are from BT)
    Line 1 is the main incoming number.
    Line 2 is used for outgoing calls and has an "unlimited" calls package on it.

Ideally, I'd cancel the PSTN lines and just use VOIP, but I face large contract buy-out charges. I was then thinking to use the SPA3102 to convert the PSTN to use with 3CX, but, I'd need 2 of them, plus the paid license for 3CX (as free is limited to 1 gateway only).

Could anyone provide guidance as to how I might set this up? I'm open to buying something different to the SPA3102 that has 2 x ports on it, if that's required, and would potentially consider a paid 3CX license (but I don't need any of the additional features).

All help gratefully received.

2. V..

V..

Hi,

Just to clarify the PBX (Free) edition of 3CX is 1 SIP Trunk only not a gateway. In order to use SPA3102 with a free version of 3CX you will need to go back to 14.

Personally I would recommend purchasing a 3CX Standard license and a 2 line Patton gateway as this is the supported, least hassle way of achieving your desired setup.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. JasonNadeau

JasonNadeau Member

... sorry that's not right. You can have 1 gateway on the free edition. Just get a 2/4 port fxo gateway.

I agree with the Patton suggestion though ;)

... but if you're gonna use this in production buy a licence, it's worth it !

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Artik Lal and YiannisH_3CX like this.
  4. fistameeny

Thanks. So I could have 1 x SIP trunk *and* 1 x gateway on the free edition? I will definitely look to upgrade to a full license once I know I can get good value out of it.

Would I be right in thinking, even with a gateway, that I could still only have 1 incoming call at once on a PSTN line? The gateway doesn't change the fact that I cannot receive a second call when a call is already in progress? Sorry if that's a daft question!

Artik Lal likes this.
  5. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

The Feature comparison chart https://www.3cx.com/phone-system/edition-comparison/ simply says "Supports SIP trunks/gateways---1", so I take that to mean you get one or the other, not one of each. I'm not even certain if it has been confirmed if a multi-trunk gateway is supported. It is a bit vague.

6. JasonNadeau

JasonNadeau Member

It's one or the other, and yes you can have 1 multi-line gateway and do multiple calls.

Artik Lal likes this.
  7. fistameeny

Thanks for your help. I'll try and hunt down a 2 port FXO gateway to experiment with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.