Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Algo Device to 3cX 15.5 Hosted

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by lvtech, Jan 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lvtech

Has anyone used the Algo 8180 in direct sip mode and also used provisioning instead of manual configuration? I would like to set it up this way, but either it doesn't work, or I am not formatting the provisioning information correctly. If someone could provide some formatting insight and any of their caveats, I would greatly appreciate them!

2. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

Question - why?
    Not to be smart about it, but it appears to be a rather simplistic SIP paging endpoint speaker. It seems that it would most likely be something that would be set one time with very few, if any changes over time. Also why direct SIP?

In any event, how to provision the device is in the following link:
    http://www.algosolutions.com/pdf/user_guides/Provisioning of Algo SIP Endpoints.pdf

As to direct SIP, I assume you might need to call the device directly without using 3CX? If so, then you need to see if the device you intend to call from supports SIP dialing. However, 3CX supports direct SIP and there is more about it here.:
    https://www.3cx.com/blog/voip-howto/direct-sip/

3. lvtech

Well, I don't have or want to use an SBC at this location, so that is my other option --- clearly not a LAN extension. Maybe you thought I meant something else? It is a hosted installation. All of the other phones at this site are setup that way and work fine.

I found that PDF too and I have not yet found the right combination that works with 3cX. If you read through it, it gives many examples which depend upon your PBX of choice and provisioning style. Just wanted to ask the community if someone had already done this with 3cX and knew which fields needed to be used. I will continue today to try different combinations and update this thread if I find it, unless someone else happens to know.

4. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

There is nothing different between the Algo and a phone. I made no assumption as manually provisioning is equally applicable to any installation regardless of connection type. .

You should be able to take a look at an existing remote extension setup in 3CX. Using that as a guide, you can then also take a look at the same extension's web interface to see which fields were populated with what info and then create the extensions for the ALGO in 3CX as well as the device itself.
    In the Algo, you need to populate:
    1. SIP Domain - use your hosted IP or FQDN. I assume 3CX is set to use port 5060
    2. Ring Extension - the extension # you created in 3CX
    3. AuthID - the authID for the extension used in 3CX
    4. Password - the password for the extension used in 3CX.

Assuming that you want both a ringer and paging function, then allow SIP Register and Page should be enabled. The other settings are dependent on your need, but for initial testing, I suggest leaving in Ring mode. Ring mode is set such that when the extension number is dialed and ringing, the ALGO will play the ring tone file you selected in Basic Settings, Tone. It does not answer the call in this mode. Page on the other-hand does. You can later change this for the Ring aspect to use the subscribe/notify method as this is really nothing other than a BLF key in a phone. It simply uses the Notify message to initiate the ring tone. You will also need to setup the paging settings and I suggest disabling the g722 codec.

You will need to do this twice, one for the Ring Extension and the other for the Page Extension.

I was impressed by ALGO's use of multi-cast. By having the master-slave setup, where a local 8180 is the master and then handles the multi-cast aspect to the local slave devices, it really accommodates a hosted site implementation where paging across multiple 8180s is needed.

The other tabs, you can setup as needed for your applications. In the Advanced SIP tab you would want to use the phone setup as mentioned earlier. If using STUN you can copy the settings from the phone and paste into the ALGO. Not knowing how the remote network is being handled from a NAT perspective, I suggest enabling the keep-alive, lowering the time to 20 seconds and enabling the different ports for different extensions.

The one item I did not see in the manual was the RTP port settings for standalone paging or intercom. This is a little concerning and may require you to download the configuration and see if you can locate it there. If not, then you may need to call ALGO and see where or how to change.

In any event, after manually provisioning, you can download the file and use as a base for other units. In the ALGO, you can also copy the provisioning settings from the phone extension and paste into the ALGO. You will want to use HTTP as the server type and place your provisioning files in the provisioning folder on 3CX. The file name will be the MAC address.conf - algom0080654321.conf - of the unit you wish to provision. You will also need to modify the provisioning server address that you pasted previously to reflect the same file name or I assume it possible that it may automatically look for a config with its MAC.

This should get you going, but there are still a few potential issues. Others may have something they can share and if so...great. Good Luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.