Allow backups to network drives - NOT POSSIBLE

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by chisel900, Oct 7, 2015.

Allow backups to network drives - NOT POSSIBLE 5 5 2votes
5/5, 2 votes

1. chisel900

I like the new backup solution that has been added to V14 apart from the fact that you can only seem to be able to backup the configuration to a local drive on the PBX server. My feelings are if the server fails I need a copy of the configuration somewhere handy in a different location not on the server itself. The old backup wizard worked fine in this way.

In order to accomplish what I want now I have to use the FTP option and install a FTP server on another machine in the same office. I notice that the interface ignores any mapped drives you create on the local machine which would have been a workaround.

2. cjtrevor

Re: Allow backups to network drives

Yes please allow mapped drives to be selected as a backup location
    Edit - UNC network paths would be just as good, and maybe easier to achieve?

3. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi All
    Yes we disabled network drives.
    The problem is that the Backup and restore is made by the Management console which is a Web application.
    So you need to grant rights to the user that started the Web Application to be able to connect and Write to the Network shared path.

We had this enabled but it was SO UNRELIABLE, that sometimes Windows was ignoring the credentials you set in the management console and using the ones it had in cache.

We will revisit this problem again to revisit some things we might have missed during the main release.

We also have some ideas for you if you want. If you install dropbox for example (or any other upload software) and configure the backup path to put backups in the dropbox repository, they get backed up automatically to dropbox.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

Dropbox, by default, only syncs when you logon - even though it says "start at startup".
    I do something similar with our labor schedule - and had to use an app called "Always Up" to ensure Dropbox could run as a service on newer versions of Windows Server.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. chisel900

Interesting debate and thanks for the replies.
    For now the workaround I am currently using (FTP) does the job, it's just not as slick as I would have liked.
    If it's on the development radar for the future then I'm more than happy to wait.

two likes this.
  6. solutionsit

How about USB Drives?

7. jholcombe

One option might be to set up DFS Replication between the 3CX server backups folder and another server. https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771058.aspx

8. TSlocum

TSlocum New Member

9. andrea.soc

BAckup and record to networkfolder

have the possibility to save backups and the recordings of phone calls in a network folder

10. r.towle

Re: BAckup and record to networkfolder

This has been suggested a few times before and I think we've been told by 3CX it's not possible for various reasons.....

Maybe 3CX Admin could confirm.....?

11. r.towle

12. andrea.soc

when it will be implemented?

13. r.towle

At present - I don't think 3CX are working on backup to network drives as they have marked this post as "not possible"

3CX may be able to confirm this.

14. Patch1

Other disk backup programs which run as a service (such as Shadow Protect) configure the access credentials (user name and password) at the same time the network path is specified. I suspect you have found the reason they do it that way. Is there any chance a similar approach could be adopted in 3CX?

15. Prometheus DBA

we fixed this by using symbolic links, maybe this helps.

Jeremy Bero likes this.