"Allow forwarding to external numbers in Ring Groups" --Not Working?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by pcepbx, May 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pcepbx

Hello all, looking for some assistance/verification of this behavior.

Here is the scenario:

Using V14 SP3. We've got a Ring Group set up ("Main Line"), which rings a number of office extensions for general incoming calls to our main number. These calls should only be answered by someone in-house, not someone who is out of the office. Thus, I've set the "Allow forwarding to external numbers in Ring Groups..." in the "Settings | PBX" page to Disabled. In theory, any calls to Ring Groups are now not allowed to be forwarded to external numbers. This works as expected, if for example I set my status to "Away" (which forwards all calls to my cell number). However, If I am in "Available" status, and I have the "Ring my extension and my mobile at the same time" set to ON, ring group calls are still forwarded to my cell number, in addition to ringing my desk phone.

I'm unsure if this is intended behavior or not, but here is the challenge: Calls into the Main Line ring group will end up on my cell, and if I reject the call, or worse if I have no cell service, the Main Line call to the office is now connected to my personal cellphone's voicemail. In my testing, if my cellphone is off, the connection to personal voicemail is so quick that the office phones will ring for less than a second. As the pbx admin, I'm aware of this behavior, but I am concerned about other users accidentally connecting these types of ring group calls to personal cellphones. The office staff would have no idea that calls are being missed. It's quite unnerving to consider this! Unfortunately, Rebound isn't an option in the "Available" status.

I realize that the immediate solution is to disable access to Forwarding Rules for my employees, and ensure that no extensions have "Allow forwarding to external numbers in Ring Groups" enabled. However, it still leaves open the easy possibility of accidentally enabling this situation on this, and future ring groups.

In my mind, "Ring my extension and my mobile at the same time" is a form of forwarding to an external number, and thus should be disabled on any calls to ring groups when "Allow forwarding to external numbers in Ring Groups" is disabled. But perhaps I am off base. Is this a bug, or intended functionality?

Thanks in advance!

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

It is, as it really isn't forwarding. It can be compared to SIP forking, ringing more than one instance of the same extension at the same time.

In the case of ringing your mobile at the same time...it is expected that, if you aren't at your desk to take the call, you will probably have your mobile with you, and vice versa. If it is that case that you can't take that call at all...well, it's ring group. Isn't the reason you are using a ring group in the first place is because some people may not be available, or may be busy?

Extension forwarding does not take effect when it is a call to a ring group because a forwarded call could be answered to someone other than the extensions "owner".

And, yes, the voicemail on your mobiles network can throw a monkey-wrench into all of this. One thing to do (and it won't help if your are "out of area" or the phone is off), is to extend the length of time before the mobile sends call off to VM.

3. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

What I would consider, if the desk set allows (additional line keys), is to have a second line key, as a part of the ring group, a different extension, than the line that also rings the mobile. If the person is at the desk, the can get both calls. Away, with the mobile, they will get personal calls to their extension number, but no ring group calls.

4. pcepbx

This is a great suggestion, thank you. I can see your point about SIP forking, but the behavior it seems a little counter-intuitive as the system is attempting contact via the PSTN and not directly to a SIP endpoint.

I think I'll make two posts in the suggestion forum:
    --Add a system option to determine the behavior of "Ring my extension and my mobile at the same time"--in essence, to consider this a SIP fork or an external forward.
    --Add the ability to allow external forwarding per Ring Group, as opposed to just globally.

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

5. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

But..it is behaving as if your mobile is the same extension as that on your desk, in essence SIP forking. There are just those pesky mobile phone quirks to consider...mobile voicemail and "out of area", "not available" recordings. For many of us, it does behave that way we want it to, however I can see the pitfalls/drawbacks if it is tied to an extension as a part of a ring group. You have to decide what works best in your situation, given all possible scenarios.

As far as I'm concerned, the more options available means more flexibility, which is usually a good thing. I suppose it will all come down to the demand, and ease of implementation, for the features you suggest.

6. pcepbx

I appreciate the feedback. Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.