• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Allow Mac client users to choose keyboard shortcut for app focus

keithcurtis

Reaction score
The keyboard shortcut (Command-3) for giving focus to 3CX is currently hardcoded into the app. This is system-wide, meaning that other programs which use that keyboard command lose that functionality. I can't think of any other program which steals a keyboard command at the system level without the ability for the user to re-assign. Not even Apple does this, and they wrote the OS.

It can't be difficult to add this option. Please consider it.

Thank you.

Reactions: ESudan
Upvote 6
I have to voice my disappointment with this as well. As some one who uses and switches between multiple desktops constantly, the inability to change this keyboard command makes this application virtually unusable to me. I can't have the application running when I'm working, which defeats the whole purpose of having the software. Yes, I could remap my keyboard commands for switching desktops, but I've been using those shortcuts for about a decade - certainly would be nice to change the 3CX commands.

Just bumping this in case anybody is reading it. This continues to be a problem.

On the Macintosh Command-3 is used by many programs:

In the Finder, it changes to column view
In Photoshop, it previews the second color channel
In Illustrator, it Hides an object.

Although in some cases, these commands can be changed, they are thematically linked. Command-2,3,4,and 5 in Photoshop cycles through all the channels. In the Finder, Command 1, 2, 3, and 4 cycles through all the views. Changing one of these would require changing a whole suite of related keys. And for those of us who work on multiple computers (some of which do not have 3CX installed), requires shifting between key sets constantly.

This really is a problem that needs to be addressed.

Bumping this thread. Disappointing that no-one from 3CX has addressed this. I use inDesign and illustrator constant and Command+3 is the Hide command, used all the time. I have to only load 3CX when I need to make a phone call, which isn't useful when people need to call me.

Please address this!

At least let us change the hotkey. Poor programming...

Please do this, we have a lot of Mac users that complain because of this.

Bumping this thread again. Any way to flag a dev for a response? It's been a year since this was first posted and there have been a host of builds since then.

HI Guys - we will do something about this. Confirmed. There will be the ability to change the shortcut to something else.

Just to add a note here:

The purpose of this shortcut is not "to give focus to 3CX", but to dial a selected text from any application (no matter is TextEdit, TextWrangler, Safari, Chrome or Finder); for instance, if you select right here *777 and you press Cmd+3, the 3CX client will come on top and will call *777.

Is a very old feature of the 3CX client, being implemented almost five years ago (October 2012) on OS Mountain Lion.

Thanks for the info and the change! I wondered why it would try to dial whenever I switched to it. Still, the ability to change it is most welcome.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hammad.k
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.