Allow maximum queue wait time less than 15 seconds.

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by rhys100, Jul 4, 2017.

1. rhys100

I have a client who has two secutarys, they like first phone to ring for 5 seconds, then the 2nd secutary phone to ring as well after the 5 seconds.

It was possible with previous panasonic system but seems not possible with 3CX

I thought if I made a 2nd queue and then pushed the call to 2nd queue (with the 2nd phone in the queue) after 5 seconds this would achieve the goal, however the minimum queue length is only 5 seconds.

Is there another way?

2. sos3

Is it always the same person who is answering first, and if busy, should be transfered to second person ?

3. rhys100

no its not. the first secutary may walk away from desk for a minute, so phone will ring 2nd secutary after 5 seconds and then she will answer it. (in old system thats how it worked)

4. sos3

ok, so secretary #1's phone always rings for the first 5 seconds.

You need to cancel call queuing. You need to use Ring Group, but with Prioritized Hunt ring strategy. You include the 2 secretaries in the members list. You can use MOVE UP or MOVE DOWN to set priority to secretary #1 and #2. You set a 5 second ring time that will be allocated equally to each extension in the members list and then you can send unanswered calls to secretary #1's voicemail box in the end of the hunt process.

5. sos3

There is another manual way of doing it, which is better if you want to play with different timeouts, as secretary #1 can timeout at 5 seconds and secretary #2 can time out at 15 seconds. You will need to disregard ring group and use the following :

What you do is in secretary #1's extension properties, in forwarding rules tab, you set a timeout of 5 seconds and then on no answer, you set the call to be forwarded to secretary #2's extension number.

In Secretary #2's extension properties, in forwarding rules tab, you can set a timeout of 5 seconds or more, then forward call to voicemail of secretary #1's extension

6. sos3

In my opinion, 5 seconds is quite short for the first secretary if phones have to ring one after the other. This is equivalent to only one ring. I would allocate 2 rings per person if no more than two people are involved in the hunt sequence.

#6 sos3, Jul 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  7. sos3

In the case where you need secretary #1's phone to ring for the first 5 seconds and then both phones to ring at the same time for the rest of the total timeout, you can set 2 ring groups,

in the first with any ring strategy, there would be only secretary #1 included in the members list. Set the timeout to 5 seconds and on NO ANSWER, you can forward to ring group #2

In Ring Group #2 with RING ALL as a ring strategy, you include the 2 secretaries in the members list. You can set the timeout to whatever you like. Then on NO ANSWER, forward the calls to voicemail of secretary #1's extension

8. rhys100

Thanks, I will test this tomorrow :) If you don't hear from me again, you have solved it :)

The only issue is calls don't get answered automatically and placed straight on hold and told about position in queue now.

9. sos3

Well, you could do the same in this case by replacing the ring groups with call queues with RING ALL ring strategy, You would be able to still play with ring time on each of the queues. First queue with 5 seconds and second queue with desired timeout before going to voicemail.

The first call queue would have only secretary #1's extension and on no answer, transfer to second call queue with both phones as members.

If you decide to use 2 call queues, then you will have to choose whether to announce queue position on both queues, or only on the second call queue. With only 5 seconds in the first queue (only secretary #1's extension), I would announce queue position only on the second queue.

In my view, considering the requirements you mentioned, I would think about choosing a strategy with FIRST a digital receptionist, answering the call with the company name and extra information relevant to the way the call flow is handled. This option leaves the caller to dial an extension they know already during the greeting message, without being pushed in the call flow process. Then on 0 second timeout, transfer the call to a ring group for the first 5 seconds and on no answer, transfer to a call queue with both phones as members. Then you would announce queue wait time on the call queue. RING ALL ring strategy still is your option to choose. If there are no calls on the queue, callers become suddenly very happy to talk to a live person on the first ring on the secretary #1's extension. Choosing to go with a digital receptionist in the first place allows both secretaries to not have to answer with the business name on every call.

I think I have given you all of the options to choose from. I hope this helps. :)

10. sos3

Remember that queue wait time is only when the caller is in the queue waiting to be answered. The ring time defined in the GENERAL section has priority over the queue wait time, because of the RING ALL ring strategy (polling strategy) used in your situation.

If you go with call hunt, then the ring time is applied to each member of the queue in defined sequence one after the other. If you choose a ring time of 15 seconds, that means each member will hear 3 rings before the PBX hunts the next extension in the sequence. if none of the members answer the call, the queue wait time will kick the caller out of the hunt sequence and forward the caller to whatever option is chosen on no answer.

11. rhys100

Hi Guys, I tried the queue suggestion. It doesn't work.

Under general ring time is 5 seconds
    under destination if no answer queue wait time is 3600 then connect to queue number 2.

Phone rings for 5 seconds. Pauses. Then rings for another 5 seconds. So never moves to queue 2 as you have suggested.

12. jon_tx

I'm in a simliar situation. Did you ever find a solution to this?