Allow multiple Ethernet interfaces

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by datamerge, Apr 16, 2017.

Allow multiple Ethernet interfaces 5 5 6votes
5/5, 6 votes

1. datamerge

datamerge New Member

We need 3CX to support two Ethernet interfaces. One for normal LAN connection and one for dedicated SIP trunk. Windows will allow this, but if a second ethernet, or even an alias on a single Ethernet is added to the Linux version, the service 3CXPhoneSystemMC01 crashes and the web UI fails.

Many SIP trunk providers require a dedicated connection.

2. bdarcyevans

Yes please. I too would like the option of having a dedicated NIC for SIP trunks.

3. SupportRequestor

I use two NICs on a Linux VM and 3CX doesn't seem to have any problems with it. One NIC is LAN and the other is the SIP trunk.

4. datamerge

datamerge New Member

That is interesting. It has not worked for me on either our internal system (3CX installed onto a Debian 8 server), or any clients' systems (3CX Debian distribution). I tried again the other day after the latest service pack. I did raise a support issue and was told that 3CX does not support multiple NICs.

I just tried it now on a customer system and it failed. Same thing. Go into extensions and edit any extension. I get an error message on the web interface and it is now dead. The 3CXPhoneSystemMC01 service has stopped. I simply restart it and it is good again until I trigger the issue.

Our systems are failing on both VM (HyperV) and physical computers (Intel NUCs).

5. tvdir

I just had a similar issue. 2 NIC's on a HyperV VM, which worked fine.
    After a couple of hours, I did a change on the web interface and suddenly CPU went to 100% and no more calls were possbile. I didn't check if the 3CXPhoneSystemMC01 service crashed, I just rebooted the PBX.
    Even after the reboot some issue remained: no audio, 3CXPhone not registering on port 5090,...

6. datamerge

datamerge New Member

Well I stand corrected. It seems that the Linux version WILL work with dual physical or virtual NICs and even VLANs. What it won't work with is aliased addresses on interfaces (using eth0:1), etc.

Sorry to have incorrectly put forward this thread.

7. bdarcyevans

Great to hear that you got it working, but personally I'd be reluctant to do it unless it was supported by 3CX. Perhaps this thread needs to become '3CX to support multiple Ethernet interfaces'.