Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Allow PnP provisioning of custom templates including over SBC

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by mcbsys, May 23, 2017.

Allow PnP provisioning of custom templates including over SBC 5 5 7votes
5/5, 7 votes

1. mcbsys

mcbsys New Member

Custom phone templates are often required for things as simple as changing the backlight duration. Yet once you choose to go down the custom template route, 3CX considers you an unwanted stepchild. Your phones all turn red in the Phones menu. You cannot provision using PnP, which means you cannot re-provision through an SBC (see this thread). Haven't even tried with STUN.

I appreciate that 3CX develops custom templates and that these must serve as a reference point for support. But please adopt custom templates as legitimate members of the family:

1. When adding or choosing an extension from the Phones page, allow specifying any matching template including a custom template.

2. Allow re-provisioning of all phones that use custom templates over LAN, SBC, and STUN.

3. Choose a different color, maybe blue, for supported phone models with current firmware that that are custom provisioned. This will allow quickly identifying the phones that really do need attention vs. the ones that are intentionally provisioned with a custom template.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    neville likes this.
  2. mcbsys

mcbsys New Member

Interesting ... I set up an extension with a Yealink T41P using a custom template and STUN, then provisioned via RPS (where you enter the user name and PIN on the phone). The provisioning worked, pulling in the custom template, AND I was able to re-provision from the Phones menu in the 3CX dashboard. So it seems only the SBC method does not allow re-provisioning if you are using custom templates, because you can't deploy the custom template via PnP ... or am I missing something?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Ronald Leenders

Mark, we encounter the same issues. It seems that when using custom templates this issue indeed occurs. 3CX reports it probably has to do with the fact that the database deletes the pnp value of the phone when you add the phone manually when choosing the custom template. I've tried this with an original template which seems to work. This was working perfectly in v14 with Yealink phones. And we need custom templates.... mostly because of default language settings on the phone.
    3CX: PLEASE accept custom templates during PnP provisioning!

4. Chrischevy80

Artificial limitations because of cutom templates should not exist. I'm a big boy, I can change some settings in a template without breaking everything. I can live without PnP, but not having SBC to redirect local traffic in between phones is more of an issue.

Another solution would be to add more settings in the phone provisioning screen, but it would be hard to please everyone. Personally, the only real setting that prevents me from using the built-in Yealink template is the BLF label size. Small is too small.