• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Allow the ability to use special extension such as 888

Bruno PELZER - CELEM

Platinum Partner
Advanced Certified
Reaction score
Some of our customers wish to use 888 extension... Unfortunately, 888 extensions are not usable as normal extensions because it is used as system extension for Fax server. This is hard coded and can not be changed...
Please allow the ability to change FAX server extension from 888 to another number.

Bruno

Upvote 2
Some of our customers wish to use 888 extension... Unfortunately, 888 extensions are not usable as normal extensions because it is used as system extension for Fax server. This is hard coded and can not be changed...
Please allow the ability to change FAX server extension from 888 to another number.

Bruno

Have you tried on a test system changing this in Parameters? Then restart all services.
May not be supported... but worth a TRY in a TEST system if you really need it.

Hi Craig,

I already tested to modify advanced parameters :
  • FAXOVEREMAILGATEWAY (888 to 666)
  • CBTEST (*888 to *666)
After that I rebooted an I gone to FAX Server settings but it's extension 001 that is selected and it's not possibe to modify it to 666... So, it doesn't work... :confused:
I opened an official ticket and support said that it's not possible because it's hard coded... :mad:

I went to fax extensions and nothing was there.
I then created a new extension for my new fax destination that I changed to in Parameters,
Nothing showed up in the list...
I tried to add it again, this time said the extension could not be used.
From soft phone, I dialed new fax extension and it seemed to identify as the fax extension.
Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 7.29.54 AM.png
I can not say however, if it actually would take a fax call or not.

I just tested again... I cannot use the 888 extension number...
I get this error : Given DN number cannot be used !
I think 3CX support is right : it is hard coded and it is not possible to use this special extension number :mad:

2018-117.png

2018-116.png

I added it fine - in a v16 test.
What is on your FAX tab? Is there an extension there?

I think you are right : I just tried with beta version 16 build 982 and it seems to be possible to use extension 888 if you modify those 2 settings :
  • FAXOVEREMAILGATEWAY (888 to 666)
  • CBTEST (*888 to *666)
I don't do it in production but it's good to know :):):)

Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.