Altigen IP 710

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by thereverend, Feb 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thereverend

thereverend New Member

Does anyone know how to make the Altigen IP 710 work with 3cx??? Also wondering what gateway I should use for my FAX machine that works the best and is the easiest to program/provision. Thanks in advance!

2. gbardissi

AltiGen phones wont work with 3CX period

3. thereverend

thereverend New Member

Why not they are an IP based phone, Do they not have the right codec? Has anyone been able to get them to work with 3CX ever?

4. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

IP is only one part of the story. My printer is also IP based, but it does not have the other part of the story which will allow it to work with 3CX.

The other part of the story is SIP and whether or not the Altigen supports the SIP standard and if so which? Altigen is a proprietary phone that uses it own standard which Avaya and others do as well. 3CX uses SIP v2 of the RFC and it depends on whether you can convert the Altigen to SIP. As SIP is gaining in popularity and manufacturers want to sell phones even if they can't get the PBX sale, some have SIP firmware available for a conversion.

Even if there is a firmware that does do a conversion, this may not provide for full compatibility as some features that were unique to the phone/PBX combination may not be supported in the 3CX (or other SIP PBX package) system.

It is one of those things where you have a phone that was designed to work with its partner PBX and now you have taken it out of its designed operational environment by converting to SIP and will need test it to see if the functionality that it now offers is suitable for your needs.

This is not a 3CX supported phone and if there is a feature that does not work, then you will need to submit an idea request or seek out 3CX directly and see if they might be willing (for a price) to accommodate.

I do not know if Altigen has such a SIP conversion firmware, or if so, how compatible it is. George, who initially replied, is pretty experienced in the area and may have had experience with it directly.

5. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

From what I've come across, online, these phone are SIP as of firmware load 5.1. How compatible with 3CX they are, is another question. It seems that they require a tftp server to provision...which means probably means that you will have to "construct" your own provisioning template. You may want to start doing some web searches to avoid having to re-invent the wheel. I've found that others have attempted to use the sets with other SIP PBXs.

It might end up being easier than I suspect, but it may not be a road you wish to go down unless you are prepared to spend a lot of time on it.

6. thereverend

thereverend New Member

Sounds like what I had to do to get my Cisco 7960's to work. They required a TFTP server to provision and it really was a pain in the rear end. But. I don't mind putting a little time into getting it to work. I just have not been able to find the process to make this happen, was hoping I could gather the troops here in the forum to help me find or construct this info. This would open a whole new area for 3cx and new set of phones they could have support for.

7. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I suppose that it all comes down to ...how common/popular are the sets (or any SIP device for that matter). And...perhaps, how anxious/co-operative is the manufacturer to be 3CX supported? There would have to be a demand before any device goes though the time required to become 3CX "supported". Unfortunately there are a number of devices that used to be supported, but are no longer, even though many of us continue to use them.

It simply comes down to economics, given unlimited resources (manpower and budgets), many more devices could be tested and thus supported, but, that isn't the case.

8. gbardissi

There is no open sip firmware for altigen phones. Altigen uses a proprietary sip stack which only works with AltiGen PBX's

9. thereverend

thereverend New Member

So in SIP mode with this phone it wont register at all?.

10. gbardissi

correct even if the phone is unregistered and "local on hook" you wont be able to get it to talk to a non altigen server.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.