Am I missing something here? No Windows Mobile?

Discussion in 'iOS' started by DeWild1, Sep 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeWild1

Ok, Last I checked, and that was a while ago, Windows mobile still had the market.
    That is, there is more applications for Windows Mobile than that for Android and Iphone...
    Right??

Windows Mobile will also work with .NET so it would be easy to port, right?

So am I blind or is there no 3CX phone app for Windows Mobile? :p

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Wrong, Wrong and some more Wrong :p
    We have no plans to support a Windows Mobile Client, it just sucks : )

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. StefanW

StefanW Head of Customer Support and Training
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Funny last night i read a compare of the app stores of all products (C'T Germany)

iPhone 250.000 Apps 28% free
    Andrios 100.000 Apps 57% free
    Baba 5000 Apps 8% Free
    BlackBerry 9000 Apps (most of them skins)
    Windows Mobils 1000 Apps 6% Free

So you can see where your ways are goint to and windows mobil 7 was in the last test of an german it mag. a disgrace to me.
    From 100% market share to 5% and then windows mobil 7, no multi task, no sip nothing.
    So there will be no Windows Phone from 3CX for now and my not for the future but never say never

4. DeWild1

:mrgreen: Now, now, now, you are developers, how can you be so easily duped by all the hype? :lol:

I know the Android ads are cool and all,,,,, but look at the motivation. THE “FREE” RELIGION that makes someone richer. Having to pay Microsoft is not something anyone likes to do, but hey, you get what you pay for, and you pay for what you get.
    Free is not always better. You here at 3CX should know that and be a full supporter for anything Windows.

I am proud to say that I have never looked at Asterix because I learned a long time ago, you pay for quality.

I have played with Iphone, the Android and been a long time htc-developrs.com member and I know about what phones can do what, and what applications do what. Hell, I even helped crack and then released Windows Mobile 5 8) .

I recently bought my daughter the KIN. Ya, I was disappointed that it was an inbetween operating system and I figured someone with brain damage over at Microsoft must have released it because of the SOLE reason you can not even use Active Sync nor install any apps; but my 13 YO daughter loves it. I offered to take it back and get the Samsung Omnia® II so I could make it better and even install some apps that would help keep her safe, (like GPS – tracking that is activated by a hidden text message.. that shows me where my kids are within 3 feet. I did not mention that one, :lol: :mrgreen: but I was pissed she had to enter all her Contact in..)… But she just likes it, the way it is, out of the box.. The operating system just made sense to her and she chose it over the iPhone or Android.

Look, http://www.google.com/trends?q=google+android,+windows+mobile&ctab=0&geo=all&date=mtd&sort=0 http://www.windowsmobile7.com/
    Ya, well, I proudly am a Windows guy but I make my decision based upon productivity. Not greed driven marketing hype.
    Windows mobile, combined with some nice tools, like http://spb.com/products/pocketplus/ and Garmen; combined with the never forgetting, never failing Exchange server, (My family has never lost a contact in the last 10 years because we all use it, and we have gone through a cabillion phones), has helped me be successful. LowFat Invoice that works with Quicken, that every small to medium sized business I know works with, and then with Merchant Anywhere; you can be a mobile shop with just one computer-cell phone and one Bluetooth card swipe device.. I am happy to pay for these tools that make success and help me feed my family.

OK, I am for sure Geeking out on this next one; but just imagine the built in Remote Desktop that comes only with Windows Mobile, and http://www.stereo3d.com/hmd.htm and a nice portable Blue tooth keyboard; and BAM! :mrgreen: You have Office Anywhere...

All that would be missing from that geek wet dream is VOIP... :cry:

5. abc123

abc123 Active Member

I sort of see where you are coming from and we are a Microsoft shop with the exception of the Windows mobile. We develop in .NET for 90% of our projects. But windows mobile plain sucks. We ditched it many moons ago.

Gartner has been saying for a couple of years that android will be the #1 smartphone os by the end of 2011 (or early 2012). Even Google are rethinking ChromeOS because the manufacturers of tablets/ipad rivals are using android. It is very open.

We use a number of speciality LOB apps and a lot come with mobile versions but all are only iphone and android no windows mobile os nor Palm. Once great in their day but got left behind.

As for your exchange. I have had a droid since the day it hit the market, uses ActiveSync and not lost a contact/email etc yet.

And office on your phone? We currently deliver a full windows desktop (thats a desktop with Windows 7, MS Office, Quickbooks, Chrome browser, and even Visual Studio 2010!) to an iphone or ipad. Plug in a keyboard and screen and you have a full Windows PC.

We are also working on a client for Android that will use an openvpn solution to pass all information through our (or your on premise if you prefer) security servers (firewall, anti virus, anti phishing, web filtering, anti spam etc.) to protect users from the ever growing threat. Then we will do an iphone version. We analysed the figures and there is just no point in trying to develop it for the Windows mobile. Just not cost effective.

We love Microsoft for .net and Windows (Servers and Windows 7) (especially MVC for websites). But they are behind on so many things. IE9 has a half hearted last minute catchup attempt at HTML5 and still is left in the dust by all other browsers. IE10 "may" have some more HTML5/CSS3 features. It has gotten so bad we are starting to put messages on our customers web sites to say "to see this as it should look, please use Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Opera - anything but IE" to those browsers we detect. We have to write so many extra css stylesheets just for the different IE. So the chances of anything before Windows Mobile 11 being "usefull" and profitable for us is slim.

6. aspen

"Wrong, Wrong and some more Wrong
    We have no plans to support a Windows Mobile Client, it just sucks : )"

Wow, what a professional attitude!

Sorry, but isn't the registered trademark of this system "Software based PBX for Windows"??

Whilst your personal opinion of windows mobile may be ok from a developers point of view, we SELL 3cx as a business class WINDOWS phone system, not a giveaway linux, mac, andriod freebie!

A review of the mobile devices used by business professionals will show they use (from our research) iPhones, Blackberry's/WindowsMobile and regular non-smart phones.

Not a single user or manager/owner of our 150 clients uses an andriod device. The number of apps (craps in my opinion) is irrelevant to the business desicions of our users. Whilst WinMob 6.5 may be 'dead' as WinMob7 is now out, current phones on contract for atleast the next 18months will be running 6.5. They will not be cancelling contracts to run out and buy an andriod device!

What do we suggest for them or blackberry users? Swyx, IP Office or do you want us to sell 3cx or not?

Time to grow up boys...

7. abc123

abc123 Active Member

So you are saying you cannot sell 3cx to businesses because it doesnt have its own softphone for blackberry or windows 7 mobile?

I have to say that we have never lost a sale due to missing a cell phone app. We have had some close calls as features are missing (but have always managed a work around, but none that we have dealt with have said a lack of 3cx branded softphone for their mobile is a biggie.

90% dont even realize you can have another "phone" on your cell phone and so when we point out the 3cx and other apps available they think it is a bonus.

You say you have researched current businesses and none of them use Androids and you didnt mention iphones. In our area our clients are mixed. It used to be more Windows mobile and then Blackberry. The iphone appeared and a lot jumped ship. As apps became more popular lots of people either jumped providers to get an iphone or switched to the newer blackberrys such as the Storm at the time. Then android came along and all has changed.

Gartner has been saying for about 2yrs that by the end of 2011 Android will be THE most used mobile platform. iPhone is already showing signs of slowing.

Over here in the USA, Verizon and others (Verizon leading) are switching over to LTE. This means more new models and lots of people are waiting for phones. They will jump to the Droid and iphone as those will be the first two LTE devices availble on Verizon.

We develop apps, for businesses and for the market place. 90% of our apps are for the iphone or android.

We are also a Microsoft partner and develop most of our products and web sites in .NET (much like 3cx) and much like 3cx in our Professional Opinion, Windows Mobile Client sucks! We are also a Blackberry partner and again in our professional opinion, it sucks too! Both companies were leaders a few years ago and both companies have stayed stuck in a timewarp.

Internet Explorer 9 is a classic example of Microsoft being 2years + behind the times with other browsers.

I doubt 3cx has the resources to develop free apps for iphone, android, blackberry, and Windows mobile. There is nothing stopping another company for writing a softphone. Before 3cx for android was that, it was sipagent, developed by another person. We used that and so did our customers. We still use Fring and others. At no time did anyone complain that 3cx had not written it.

I think that their focus is correct. Develop the main product and pick up apps along the way if you can. The feature request site is full of features for the main product and I guess most of their resources are focussed on those - which I wholeheartedly agree with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.