Analog-Like Extensions?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by billden, Sep 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. billden

I am a VoIP novice. I thought I was doing good by making a bunch of VoIP phones talk to each other via a software SIP server. I even have analog phones connected via analog telephone adapters. Throw in a few soft phones and I thought I was a VoIP master.

BUT, I am trying something as simple as extensions and I have hit a HUGE WALL.

Here's my scenario:

Totally standalone test lab; no outside network or POTS connectivity whatsoever.

I need to know if 3CX can do what miniSipServer cannot.

I am currently running miniSipServer as my SIP server, and have numerous AAstra VoIP phones, Snom 320 VoIP phones, and some analog phones as well.

I am trying to set up extensions on a few different phones so that if a number is dialed (example: 333-1234), all the phones having the same number (333-1234) will ring. If one phone answers, I want the light associated with that number (333-1234) to stay lit on the other phones. Also, I want the other phones to be able to join the conversation by pressing the lit button.

I am able to use call groups to allow all phones to ring (on different phone numbers) when one is dialed but as soon as the call is established, all other lines are released. There is no indication on the other phones of a call in progress and more importantly, another phone can not pick up on the call and join the conversation.

This seems so incredibly simple. Maybe I am thinking too analog. I have been on the forum for my SIP Server and the forum for my Snom 320 and nobody seems to know how to do it.

I'm willing to change to 3CX and/or different phones if necessary.

Can it be done? How?

2. abc123

abc123 Active Member

I dont think there is an easy way to do what you describe in 3cx. There are shared lines with phones, there are BLFs on phones, there is shared parking (which can be used with BLFs too). And the call assistant also helps. And finally there is conferencing.

Can you tell us what you would like to do when a call comes in so we can then try and give you the best setup. It may be that you set up things in a certain way with miniSipServer because it had limitations and so a different implementation would be better suited for the way you want your company to handle phone calls in 3cx.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

The closest feature you will find is called Shared Line Appearance (SLA)in VoIP. The functionality can vary depending on the type of set (make/model) and the PBX. I'm not sure that it will ever be an exact replacement for the functionality of an older key system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.