Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Analog lines

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by joshuaanders, Jul 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joshuaanders

I run a small business and I am attempting to build a phone system with 3CX. I played around with the free version to get a feel for the software on a laptop that has a built in analog modem. I am looking at switching over to a desktop terminal with a paid version. My phone lines in my office are analog lines. Is there a way to utilize my analog lines (3) without using a seperate piece of hardware? Maybe PCI modems or another type of PCI device? I originally found out about the 3CX software from http://www.usedphones.com. They have a picture of a packaged system that does not show an additional piece of equipment - I figured they had internal hardware that your analog lines would simply plug into. Thanks in advance.

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

There are a number of gateways on the market. Some do reside on a PCI card, BUT, not all are compatible with 3CX, a Windows based PBX, (some only work with Linux). Have a look at the devices on this page, under VoIP gateways http://www.3cx.com/blog/support/ , they are the ones tested to work with 3CX. Others might, with some work, but you may be on your own to get them working. Do your research before any purchase.

A standalone gateway has the advantage of being able to be located close to the phone lines (in a riser closet or back room), away from the 3CX controller with just a LAN cable connecting the two.

3. joshuaanders

I looked at a couple gateways. Most of the ones I saw have both a LAN and a WAN port. Would I be correct in assuming that the PC with the 3CX software must be connected to the LAN port and the gateway WAN port to my switch? Or can both the PC and gateway be connected to the switch?

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

While some gateways may have a WAN connector as well as a LAN connection, in most cases they would be used on the same network (behind the same router) as the PC/router running 3CX. In that sort of case, any "outside" connections would be handled by the router or another firewall device on the network.

5. Ideasmiths

I just successfully setup my first 3cx using analog line last 2 weeks. Here is what I have learn so you can save some time.

You probably need a VOIP gateway like Linksys 2102, or 3102 or SPA 400 (4 FXO ports). The 2102 and 3102 each have
    1x FXO port (to connect the gateway with a cable to the analog line on the wall)
    1x FXS port (to connect a cable from the gateway to a phone)
    1x WAN port (to connect the gateway to a switch if you have >1 computer)
    1x LAN port (to connect the gateway to your computer).

So if you have more than 1 analog line and you want to use them all, then you probably need a gateway with more FXO port such as the Linksys SPA400 that comes with 4x FXO port BUT 0 FXS port. It depends on where is all your analog lines are located, if they are near each other on the wall, then a single gateway like SPA400 can easily be connected using the phone cables. If the wall sockets are far apart, then you need to lay some phone cables all across the room to reach the SPA400. In this scenerio, buyer 4 of the 3102 can bring each as near to the wall socket and also allows a normal phone to be used near the gateway

For using the WAN and LAN Port, it depends on your setup. For me, I plug the WAN port from the gateway to the switch and made it a bridge. Then I plug my laptop running the 3cx into the Lan port of the gateway. Because the gateway is now a bridge, my laptop is deem to be a seperate device on the network.

The other way is to leave the lan port of the gateway empty and plug the gateway (WAN Port) to the switch and then plug the laptop to the switch.

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

The SPA 2102/3102 (amongst other) do have a built in router, that you can use if your network doesn't already have one, which is rarely the case. The bridge mode allows the LAN port to be used as an extra Ethernet jack, freeing up one on the router/switch.

7. joshuaanders

I have a Cisco 24 port switch and a second backup switch available for when I fill up the first one so I am not worried about conserving ports. My primary switch (Cisco Catalyst 2900 series) is 10BaseT/100BaseTX while my backup switch (Cisco Catalyst 1900 series) is just 10BaseT. Also, all my IT and telecom equipment is stored in the same cabinet in my office so there wont be any issues with cabling. My phone lines are utilizing Magic Jacks with an HP Thinclient 5720 for each line/MJ. Although some people think that Magic jack is a horrible way to go, I have had nothing but success with my setup. The cost savings alone are incredible.

I will probably use Cisco Linksys SPA-3102 gateways for my system since I am comfortable and knowledgeable with Cisco and Linksys equipment. That being said, I am going to assume that I will need a seperate 3102 for each line? I also looked at using an SPA-8800 but the cost of one of those on ebay is much greater than the cost of 4 3102's on ebay.

8. joshuaanders

Or would an SPA400 work? I looked at the Quick Start Guide on Cisco's website and it says that the 400 has to be used in conjunction with an SPA9000?

The reason I initially said that I was looking at going with the 3102's is because that is one of the gateways listed in the 3CX software.

9. Ideasmiths

I didn't know that the SPA400 has to be used with a SPA9000, that doesn't make sense as these devices should be independent. I am looking at getting a SPA400 too. A 3102 for each line is okay, but do consider that each of them will need a power source, a Lan wiring and a phone line. While the SPA400 obviously will save space/power source etc.

Do note that during my search for SPA3102 2 weeks back, I notice that some people mentioned that there are counterfeits units from China/Hong Kong source. I live in Singapore and acquired mine from a local retail shop, the unit turns out to be a UK model. I also find it hard to register the thingie on Linksys website as these are considered Business devices and Cisco registration website keep going in a loop as there is a bug with one of it's field (i think the address field).

Good luck

10. eagle2

eagle2 Well-Known Member

SPA-400 is an obsolete product, intended primarily for use with SPA-9000, and not supported anymore. Beside there are also problems with Caller-ID on SPA-400.

SPA-3102 performance is very low as router (effective throughput is less than 10 Mbit/s and not so many packets per second can pass !!) -- I wouldn't not recommend to use SPA-3102 (or SPA-2102) as your main router.

Using SPA-8800 or SPA-8000 is better than 4x SPA-3102 (4x SPA-2102) as they are housed into metal case with fan cooling, one LAN cable needed, one power cable, just one single box.

SPA-8800 is more expensive than 4x SPA-3102, while SPA-8000 is cheaper than 4x SPA-2102. Inside there are exactly four SPA-3102/2102 chips mounted on a single board.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. Ideasmiths

How about a OBi110 ?

12. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

From what I've read, it is very good as a stand alone device ad as a gateway for Google voice/free calls amongst other users. I understand that it was developed by former Linksys employees, I may be wrong. I would want to do some investigation as to whether it will support working as a gateway in conjunction with 3CX as does the 3102, before investing in one.

Yes, you are best off disabling the router function. Otherwise the 3102 works just fine and has the added benefit of an ATA as well. I use one in conjunction with a Magicjack myself.

13. eagle2

eagle2 Well-Known Member

Mostly looks like former SIPURA -- look on the typeface of OBIHAI -- very similar to SPA-1001 and SPA-3000 at moment of acquiring by Linksys (before Cisco), but updated / developed further. Looks pretty good / standard - no reason for not-working with 3CX (I browsed through the admin guide of Obihai). See also: http://forum.voxilla.com/obihai-technology/cisco-killer-obi110-puts-google-voice-any-phone-56664.html

Regards

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. Ideasmiths

I bought a Obi110 from amazon and set it up. it works very well! And my initial testing is that the sound is better than the Linksys 3102 that I bought in May 2011. The setup is also easier. I made a guide here

15. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Where do you set the incoming (ringing) PSTN line to route (forward) to 3CX?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.