Analog phone line with 3CX

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by siegenthaler, Sep 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. siegenthaler

Hello all
    I would like to use a 3CX system which is connected to a regular analog phone line.
    Is it correct I need a SPA-3102 New box? Is it working without any problems?
    Thanks and best regards!
    m

Switzerland, Swisscom analog line

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Yes, you are correct. To use an analogue with any VoIP device, 3CX included, you will need a Gateway. The SPA3102 has one Gateway port and one ATA adaptor port, for a telephone. Grandstream also makes a similar device.

3. siegenthaler

thanks a lot!
    do you know if a fritzbox can act as such a gateway too? Best regards!

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Other than seeing the Fritzbox on store shelves in Europe, I'm not familiar with them. I get the impression that some models can act as a small PBX, which suggests that you can plug telephones in to them. Don't know if they interface with telephone lines. As far as i know they don't market them here in North America. There may be a Fritzbox forum or someone else on this forum with some experience using them.

5. nwhitfield

Yes, a Fritzbox can do it.

I've got a 7270 here, providing analogue ports for both my old cordless phone and an entry phone, as well as access to the analogue phone service on my DSL line, in case my net connection drops.

Mostly, it behaves pretty well. But there are some gotchas.

First, things like * codes from 3CX probably won't work, because the FritzBox has its own built in call handling and feature codes, so won't pass them through.

Secondly, every couple of weeks, I find that when trying to answer a call on the cordless phone, it doesn't work - the FB has refused the call as far as 3CX is concerned. Power cycling the FB normally fixes that, and it might be fixable with a firmware update. However, since I seldom use the cordless phoine now, it's not much of an issue.

Thirdly, the analogue line that the Fritzbox is connected to is also used by my burglar alarm. And something there (perhaps it's the Fritz and its automatic fax detection, perhaps something else) makes the Fritzbox pick up the line sometimes when the burglar alarm has been registering with the control centre. These calls would come in to 3CX (since that's what I told the FB to do with calls from the analogue line) and I'd end up with loads of 2 minute silent voicemails. I've fixed that by telling 3CX simply to drop any calls from the FB that have no caller ID.

That third point is probably entirely down to some interaction between the FB and the particular alarm system I have, and their unwillingness to share the phone line nicely, so unlikely to bother most people.

There's more about my adventures with the FritzBox on my blog, at http://gonedigital.net/2010/05/15/using-the-fritzbox-as-a-voip-gateway/ as well as various other 3CX related posts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.