Analog phone or IP phone

Discussion in 'Windows' started by stash, Mar 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stash

stash New Member

What do we lose using Analog phone?
    when it comes to features.
    Advantages and disadvantages using analog or Ip phone.

Thanks,

STASH

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

SIP phones can have (depending on model, of course) more than one line key and dedicated feature keys, with status LED's in some cases. The display is capable of more information (it updates in most cases), over just the initial incoming call name/number.

For single line use, an analogue set can be more durable and less expensive, depending on the location used.

3. stash

stash New Member

Sir leejor,

thanks for that, but i need to know 3cx features that differentiate the two phones. can you give me some features that an analog phone can't do.

Thanks,

STASH

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

An analogue phone will do just about anything you expect from the same set on a PSTN line. Attended transfer of a call will usually involve a "flash" if that button is present on the set. A blind transfer can become more involved as you are limited to how it is implemented on the make/model of ATA you are using.

Because there are a number of SIP cordless/wired handsets out there, the "additional" functions (and if they even all work with 3CX) will vary. Keep in mind that there are WiFi SIP sets ,and there are DECT SIP sets. The WiFi sets will make use of your existing WiFi network, the DECT sets will work from their own base units, which in turn, are connected to 3CX by a LAN cable/network.

5. stash

stash New Member

Sir leejor,

You are saying that using either of the phone you have the same features?

Thanks,

STASH

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Sorry?

Any analogue set you use, will have to be in conjunction with an ATA. So...features/options are subject to the limitations of both devices.

SIP phones, depending on the make/model you purchase, of course, can provide additional feature not capable of an analogue set.

You may want to sit down with a local distributor (or a local 3CX Partner) to discus your particular needs/situation, and what type of set(s) will work best for you from the available selection/3CX recommended. Most PBX installs will utilize various types of sets, depending on the job function, of the person using it.

7. jpillow

jpillow Well-Known Member

The only reason I've ever come across going with analog over IP is when there are alot of handsets at a locations. ie hotels, I cannot see any other practical reason to purchase analog handsets over IP. What situation are you in where you feel that would be more beneficial?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. albertc

Not sure in what aspect you want to compare with and at what price point. A fully loaded analog set can have more features than a very basic IP phone. When choosing what kind of phones to use, you need to look beyond just the phone itself. Many features that IP phone offers are back-end driven, meaning in order to use those features, your back-end system must support it. If it is a new installation or if you are planning to upgrade from your old PBX, no doubt you should go for a IP base setup since it will save you cost on the infrastructure and much greater flexibility. But if you already have a traditional PBX in place and looking to just replacing your phone, go with whatever your PBX support. Adding a IP phone in a traditional PBX network will only add complicity without any true benefit.

9. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

It comes down to ...
    What the person wants (needs) to do with their set.
    Where the phone will be used (harsh environment?)
    How much they are willing to pay for additional features

An installation can consist of a combination of both analogue, and various models of VoIP sets. The receptionist would probably be using a much more complicated (multi line) set, than one left in the lobby for customers to use as a courtesy phone.

It's not , one size fits all.

10. stash

stash New Member

Sir leejor, - so i depends on the environment that the phone will be setup. I just want to know what is the disadvantage of analog. If i choose IP phone what will i gain and what will i lose.

Sir albertc - im comparing the things i will gain and lose when i choose analog or IP phone. because im not really familiar with the features of an analog and IP phone. Im new in this kind of field. :D

Sir jpillow - im not looking into any locaation.

Thanks for the respond :D

STASH

11. albertc

There is no simple answer to your question. It all depends on where and how you will use the phone. In an office environment with a PBX where you have many users need to talk to each other, IP phone will offer users more flexibility and functions like "Find me follow me", call screening and routing base on CID, voicemail to email, video call...etc (where your IP PBX support it) vs Analog phone and analog pbx lack these features. However, if you are using it at home, a analog phone may be more user friendly and more reliable since IP phones needs an internet connection to make and receive calls. When there is a power or internet outage, you will not be able to use your ip phone. A simple analog phone that plug into a POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service) will have dial tone even when the power is out.

If you are talking about business application, IP base system have the advantage over analog base system since they are less expensive to deploy and manage and offer more functionality than traditional analog base PBX.

For home use, IP base service cost less than your local phone company especially when it comes to long distance call. But it has to run on top of your internet connection which can suffer more technical difficulties and less reliable than analog base service.

Again, the phone itself is only the device for you to place and receive phone calls where the back-end service is what makes the real different between the two.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.