Android PUSH seems very unreliable.

Discussion in 'Android' started by MarkLFT, May 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarkLFT

I have setup a server to test the functionality before rolling it out company wide. We have a dedicated server, directly connected to the internet.

It passes all the firewall tests, and seems to be operating correctly.

For initial testing I have a Windows laptop with the 3cx client installed, and working. Then on a Samsung S6 Edge, I have the latest Android app installed. If I have the program open and visible on both devices I can call back and forth without issue.

However, if the Samsung is with the screen blanked, i.e. cover closed. around 50% of the time, the Push seems to work and my phone rings. The rest of the time, there is no visible or otherwise indication a call is incoming, but it must be at least part working, as when I open the phone next, it shows a missed call.

I have today download all the latest version, server, Windows client and Android Client, so they are all the latest versions.

As it stands I have little confidence I will not miss an important call as the phone doesn't ring. In our line of work, we cannot afford to miss calls.

The fact it works perfectly for around 50% of the calls leads me to believe I have completed the installation correctly.

Does anyone else have any experience of this? And if so, what is the fix?

Thanks in advance.

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I haven't delved into Google Push much, other than the initial set-up, and the occasional use.

I suppose the big question here, is , at what point, is this failing?

Is the message sent to Google?

Is it being passed to the phone?

Is the phone acting on the Push message?

From what I recall, and I may be wrong, is there not a way a way to go into the Google account used for Push, and see a record of messages sent? If that is the case, it would confirm the first question.

If the phone was "registered" with Google, at the time of a call attempt, then Google should send the Push message, to the phone. If that isn't happening, then perhaps, for some reason, the phone wasn't actually registered.

If the message was sent, could something, (another App, a setting),on your set, be preventing the phone from signalling, that a Push message was received?

I'm also not certain as to whether Google gets confirmation that a Push message was actually received in the same manner as a SMS.

3. MarkLFT

Many thanks for the replies, but due to the complications with Skype Connect, and also with our Linksys PSTN Gateway and the Android PUSH issues, we have decided to switch to a Elastix PBX system. This seems to better support all that we need.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.