Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Android VPN?

Discussion in 'Android' started by KerryG, Jul 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KerryG

KerryG Active Member

Has anyone managed to get the Android VPN working and use the 3CXPhone over that? Since I can't get the phone to work right over T-Mobile's 3G, I was hoping that I could use the phone's VPN feature but I cant seem to get it to connect.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. notmike

There is a huge issue in the google android forums about VPN being a general problem on many phones at the moment, it works only momentarily on many VPN setups that should otherwise work fine, if it works at all.

From what I understand openvpn servers are compatible, but this thread has more details...

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=4706

I found someone suggested supervpn.net in that thread, I tried it last night and it actually works.. well, I was able to get 3cx to make one call, but it failed almost every other time. I was able to get sipdroid + pbxes to hold a 5 minute call before I manually disconnected.

In my short testing I found 3cx performed best off VPN, and sipdroid on VPN... I'll be testing them both from Belize next week and I'll let everyone know if it works.

Both clients only worked on the Speex codec by the way, I had to disable all other codecs to get any sort of decent call quality.

I'm using callcentric (pay by the minute) as my call trunk hooked into pbxes.com, I used this method (with supervpn instead of pbxes vpn).
    http://guardianproject.info/2010/05/26/how-to-setup-a-private-mobile-phone-system-for-android-and-beyond/

mods:sorry if mentioning sipdroid is against rules, feel free to edit or delete, figuring out how to get this all working with VPN was a HUGE pain and I found this forum to be the easiest to come across a possible solution, but there was none to be had. The above solution is by far the most straight forward

~HTC Evo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.