• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Annoyances with Debian V15

Status
Not open for further replies.

NetVu IT

Reaction score
I suspect some of this may want to be listed under "3CX Ideas", other than that this is a list of bugbears I've encountered with my first deployment of the Debian version. My last implementation was a Windows v14 install.
  • Plug and Play Provisioning only working when selecting FQDN and not IP address.
  • Default interface for provisioning always defaults to IP address despite selecting Managed DNS during install.
  • While setting up extensions, adding a phone's MAC address for provisioning prior to plugging in a phone didn't work. I had to wait for the Phone to appear in the Phones list then assign it to an extension. Despite the MAC already being listed there and nothing appearing to change.
  • No 'select all' option in Extensions for bulk update.
  • No option to bulk update extension 'Rights' when selecting multiple extensions.
  • Some fields not present in CSV export/import for bulk updating.
  • No password policy for SIP account or voicemaill password length.
  • Only the Mobile field in 3CX Contacts is used for populating the Snom phonebook.xml
  • Snom firmware location XML not automatically updating after changing the server's IP address.
  • Changing the server's IP address causes the Secure SIP certificates to be removed and the option disabled.
  • No validation on certificates entered for Secure SIP, plus the second field header is API key rather than Certificate Key.
  • No way of changing the license without re-installing.
That's all I can remember at the moment.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing this,

What configuration are need on the phone for plug an play to work ?

Hello @NetVu IT

Just a few comments on some of the points above,
Plug and Play Provisioning only working when selecting FQDN and not IP address.
Of course it works with IP, are you referring to local or remote extensions? i it doesn't for you then something is wrong in your instalaltion
Default interface for provisioning always defaults to IP address despite selecting Managed DNS during install.
Yes but the provisioning link will be the local FQDN, the interface will be the local IP.
While setting up extensions, adding a phone's MAC address for provisioning prior to plugging in a phone didn't work. I had to wait for the Phone to appear in the Phones list then assign it to an extension. Despite the MAC already being listed there and nothing appearing to change.
What do you mean by it doesn't work? Are you expecting the phone to auto provision once you plug it in? Or if the values are already present id does not provision?
No password policy for SIP account or voicemaill password length.
There is password policy for the SIP account. It will not allow you to set a password less than 5 characters.
Only the Mobile field in 3CX Contacts is used for populating the Snom phonebook.xml
This is the phones limitation, the 3CX client reads all the entries from the phonebook.
Snom firmware location XML not automatically updating after changing the server's IP address
It will once you update a phone through the management console
Changing the server's IP address causes the Secure SIP certificates to be removed and the option disabled.
What IP change causes this behaviour? Local or public?
No way of changing the license without re-installing.
This is because the license is bound to the FQDN upon installation and can only be done during the installation process.

What configuration are need on the phone for plug an play to work ?

The phones and server need to be on the same VLAN/Subnet.

Then for me the rest of the process is:
  1. Plug the phone in and wait for it to appear in 3CX's 'Phones' list.
  2. Select the phone in the list then click 'Add Ext' to create a new extension, or 'Assign Ext' to add the phone to an existing extension.
  3. Configure other extension details as required.
  4. On the 'Phone Provisioning' page set; Set 'Provisioning Method' to 'Local LAN' (sic). Enter the phone's Mac Address, without punctuation. Set 'Select Interface' to your FQDN.
  5. Click OK to save the settings.
  6. Wait for phone to reboot, update and provision.

@YiannisH_3CX Quoting you quoting me is going to get complicated, so I'm going to try to respond in order.

I'm referring to local handsets on the same subnet/VLAN as the server. The only time the handsets update the firmware and provision correctly is if I select the FQDN as the interface.
Looking through the Snom logs this is due to the provisioning URL being re-directed to https, therefore presenting an invalid SSL certificate when the IP is used. This redirect is not something I've changed, so can only surmise it's something that's done automatically during set up. Possibly due to me selecting managed DNS and installing a CA signed SSL certificate?

Yes, the provisioning link is correct. But as I've detailed above, it doesn't work unless the interface is set to the FQDN. But this is in relation to what you previously told me about needing to re-install to change the default interface, so I did, but this didn't make any difference.

Regarding MACs I mean I've created the extension, added the correct phone model to the provisioning page and entered its MAC address. Before plugging in the handset. I'd expect that once the phone is plugged in it would pick up on the already entered MAC and provision using the correct details. It doesn't. I have to use the process I've described to Nkosana above.

Password policy is just a nice to have. The site this PBX was for has to use a SIP account password length of at least 16 mixed case, alphanumeric characters. It would have been nice to define this and have it automatically populated, rather than having to generate my own list.

The choice of phone number to populate on the Snom phonebook seems odd, it would also have been good to indicate in the GUI which field would be used.

The point I was trying to make is that I couldn't update the phone through the management console. This was due to the xml file used to point the Snom handsets to the correct firmware URL being wrong. I had to delete it through an SSH session then restart the services for it to be updated.

Changing the local IP. It seems odd that the certificates are associated with an IP address rather than an interface.

I can may be understand for the free version; but not having an option to change the FQDN and/or license for paid for licenses is a pain.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Murad88
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.