Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Any luck with Patton M-ATA?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by rlynch1077, Mar 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rlynch1077

Just wanted to check and see if anyone has had any luck with the Patton M-ATA for faxing before I purchase? I have patton fxs gateways for fax machines now, however adding in one of these for a new fax machine would be much easier. I see on the support site that the setup shows creating a regular extension when setting this up, am I reading that correctly? Am I not supposed to create a fax extension when using the Patton M-ATA?

2. carolinainnovative

I have set them up both as fax extensions and regular extensions, and I can send & receive faxes through both using T38. Setting it up as a regular extension works fine. 3CX detects the fax SDP and re-negotiates the connection.

It does completely depends on the provider, though. One of my providers says they rabidly support T38 but I haven't gotten it to work yet, and the other says they kind of support it IF you do this and that in advance, and tell them about it, and cross yoru fingers just right - and yet it works like a champ first try. T38 is queer. Always has been.

3. sigma1

sigma1 Active Member

You will not get any T38 device to work as T38 via 3CX extension setup. It will work as a g711 device. 3CX does NOT process nor does Pass-Trough for it. You can test your T38 setup either by allowing faxing via g711u or setup 3CX to receive your T38 faxes.
    If you provider is able to supply you with more than one set of credentials within the same account you should do that and setup the ATA on a separate set of credentials with T38.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. sigma1

sigma1 Active Member

Removed/edited post

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. carolinainnovative

Are you 100% sure about that, Charles? Because I have packet captures and logs that CONFIRM T38 as an EXTENSION through 3cx.

6. sigma1

sigma1 Active Member

A regular EXTENSION will not, a FAX extension could. Either way, not the best setup.

If the OP has POTS or PRI, go for it, you should be fine. We use the Grandstream HT701 in these scenarios with no trouble at all.

Not if you are going FoIP via trunk...

7. carolinainnovative

I didn't say it was recommended, my friend - the question was is it possible... and I'm telling you, based on my empirical results, it is.

Now - as for RECOMMENDED setup - as you said, it is not a recommended setup. It is much better to configure your ATA device to talk directly to your Voip Trunk. You might need to ask your provider for another set of credentials.

In THAT regard, the M-ATA has given me problems - but I also decided I did NOT want to trouble shoot it a whole lot. I'd recommend the SN4112 from patton or one of the grandstream ATA boxes.

8. sigma1

sigma1 Active Member

Edited/removed post

9. carolinainnovative

I completely understand, my friend - but there is a huge difference between "It doesn't work, it won't work, it can't work" and "It works but not supported or recommended."

It is in that gap that this discussion has taken place.

10. carolinainnovative

I have edited my last post.

What I said indicated that someone was ignorant or dishonest by taking a certain position. Those were extremely poor choices of words. There is an intellectual process that describes the gap I described - and I can't exactly put words to it - but the words I used were inaccurate, and insulted the hard work one of my partners did. They brought it to my attention, and I prefer to air my dirty laundry in public - so I am publicly apologizing and have redacted the post.

11. rlynch1077

Thanks for the help everyone, I will give it a try and let you know if I have any problems. Not sure if I included it, but we are using a PRI, not sip trunk. Thanks again...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.