Any problems with leaving verbose logging on?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by pjr, Nov 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pjr

pjr New Member

Hi,

It's becoming quite a problem for us having to reboot 3CX servers for clients when we have enable verbose logging to get to the bottom of issues (expecially trying to co ordinate reboots during the day when multiple offices share a single server).

Is there any downside in leaving verbose mode permanently enabled, do the logs overwrite themselves or will they eventually eat up all available disk space?

Thanks

Paul

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. KerryG

KerryG Active Member

I leave verbose on with the systems that I tend to work on the most, I leave it lower on systems that I never need to touch.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. pjr

pjr New Member

Thanks Kerry - I presume leaving Verbose on has not caused you any issues?

Paul

4. KerryG

KerryG Active Member

Not yet ;)

5. Vali_3CX

Vali_3CX Well-Known Member
    Staff Member 3CX Support

I guess, this is a personal choice, depending by what everybody expects from a tracelog file. Personally, on any program providing tracelog/debugging options, I enable this feature only when it behaves... not normally, and if I'm able to understand something useful from these files, or to send them to technical support. Otherwise, I disable this feature, because a tracelog involves disk space, additional CPU time, additional memory, additional resources.

6. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

There will be NO problems at all with leaving Verbose logs on.
    Absolutely nothing.

I to answer the next flying question before it's even asked:

Q: Why aren't Verbose logs enabled by Default in the installation?
    A: At the moment Normal Logs provide sufficient info for a Normal user to understand the basic operations of the system.
    E.g:
    Normal Logs: 100 Calling 101 > 101 Accepted > Call Connected
    Verbose Logs: Leg:C:1 Connected > Contact 101 rpid;js09fjdjjvjvjs9jvxcl0apkpszx; SDP bladabladabla > Requires Proxy Auth Xyz omgbbq

And dont even ask what Low Logging mode does :p That's something i just realized i've propably never used...

7. pjr

pjr New Member

Exactly the answer I was hoping for - thanks Leonidas!

Paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.