Any way to forward DID calls differently than others?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by efounco, Jan 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. efounco

efounco New Member

I'm playing with some settings and would like the ability to route incoming DID calls different than inside and outside calls. Is this possible?

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

The call forwarding options of extensions allow each call type (internal and external) to be treated differently. Depending on the complexity of your set-up,and your intention, calls could be "funnelled" through dummy extensions.

3. efounco

efounco New Member

Yeah, I was contemplating this. My only problem with dummy/virtual extensions is that it over complicates something that should be simple. Really, there should also be a forwarding option for DID calls. Plus, the MyPhone address book doesn't have the ability to hide virtual extensions, so it becomes messy.

We have 4/8 line phones, so another option would be to add a second extension to the phone and use it exclusively for DID. This may require a little more work, but it might be nice having a different ringtone/line for DID calls.

I will play with it this weekend...

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

The assumed use of a DID (because you are paying extra, for a range of numbers)is that you are going to send the caller to a specific extension/Fax machine, etc.

Calls to the Digital assistant, a "real" receptionist, call queue or a Ring group, generally use the "main" number of a hunt group, something that internal callers would generally not be expected to be dialling.

Still, any of those destinations could be routed through a dummy extension.

You might have to provide more details on what you are trying to achieve.

5. efounco

efounco New Member

All I'm trying to do is make it so I can forward incoming DID calls differently than those that come though our regular business line. Just like internal and external calls, there should also be an option for DID calls in the forwarding tab.

For example, some of our sales people don't like calls forwarded from the receptionists to go to their voicemail. For those people, I have all "external" calls set to ring for 40 seconds and then route back to the incoming ring group so an operator can pick up the call and redirect it. Well, DID (direct inward dial) calls are treated in the same manner as those received through the regular business line. They ring the extension for 40 seconds and then ring back to the incoming ring group. I need them to go to voicemail instead because these are typically used for family members.

So, what I did was create a custom provisioning template for those user's phones so that DID calls have their own private extension on the phone. Then, I routed the DID calls to that extension and setup the forwarding options to send unanswered calls to their voicemail after 20 seconds. It's a little messy and difficult to setup, but it works...

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Sorry, didn't realize that you were trying to differentiate between DID calls and other outside calls. I have a feeling that you have probably found the best way to handle it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.