Anyone gathering call quality metrics?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by mcbsys, May 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcbsys

mcbsys New Member

I'm wondering if anyone has a way to collect call quality metrics, either manually or automatically.

Background: a customer is having audio lag on calls to some cell phones, sometimes has to hang up their 3CX desk phone extension and call back from their cell phone directly (not the 3CX app). I doubt that it is a 3CX issue because most calls work fine. But as the phone system vendor, I still need to be able to find and solve the issue.

The first challenge is just to identify problematic calls. It's hard to persuade a busy customer to keep a call quality log, but if they could just click 1-5 on a screen popup, maybe add a word or two in a text box, they might do that.

Even better would be a way to automatically track jitter, packet loss etc. on all calls. I've heard of this in major cloud VoIP vendors. And I see a whole page of options on my Yealink T42G under Settings > Voice Monitoring, all disabled.

Besides identifying problems, it would also be nice to have metrics that confirm 98% of calls are working fine...

Is anyone using either automatic or manual quality monitoring?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. cobaltit

cobaltit Active Member

@mcbsys There's nothing built-in to 3CX but somewhere I did have a feature request for RTCP-XR support which would give you something like the Fonality FONScore. But as far as what you can do today you have a couple of options:

- SimpleWAN devices will give you some MOS scoring as well as let you know if the hangup was normal or not
    - Supposedly some of the SBC type devices like Edgemarc will also give you some sort of metrics but I don't have personal experience with them
    - VX Pulse/VX Suite is nice as well but unless your SIP trunking provider has a node where your VoIP traffic is originating from you will be getting metrics for your internet connection in general and not the exact VoIP traffic path.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. cobaltit

cobaltit Active Member

4. mcbsys

mcbsys New Member

Interesting info, thanks. Would be nice to have something integrated into 3CX. A lot of the cloud-based network monitoring stuff looks like it would be beyond the needs and budget of a small office.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.