Anyone have instructions to connect Linksys SPA3102 to 3cx

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by mattlok, Aug 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattlok

Hi Everybody,

I am stuck with a situation.

We have 3cx at work version 12 and would like to hookup our current panasonic analog wireless handsets (consumer product) to 3cx for the warehouse staff to use.

Based on some research we saw a few forums that have successfully used Linksys SPA3102 to interface traditional analog phones (non-voip) to the 3cx server.

However, i cannot find any specific step-by-step instruction on how to set it up and any settings we tried has not work so far.

As a microsoft system administrator we are not too familiar with some of the voip terminology such as FXO, etc.

So we are hoping someone out there can help us as we really like 3cx and do not want to switch Asterisk or microsoft Lync (skype for business) just for the sake of making the traditional analog phones work.

Unfortunately the company does not want to switch the traditional wireless analog phones to a voip version as there are features that the panasonic has that the warehouse people are used to.

We even tried using a Grandstream-----HandyTone-486 to connect to 3cx Server but no luck. We can connect the HandyTone-486 directly to the voip provider and make the panasonic wireless phones work, but that by passes 3cx server which controls the main numbers.

Also, we only need to connect 1 analog phone to the 3cx, there is no intent to add any more analog phones or managing multiple analog phones.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

2. garyjduk

Re: Anyone have instructions to connect Linksys SPA3102 to 3

I used this guide and got it to work - make sure you're on the recommended firmware.

http://www.3cx.com/voip-gateways/linksys-spa3102/

3. mattlok

Hi Garyjduk,

I tried this guide before and it did not work for me.

I guess i will try it again.

The parts that i was not sure about were:

- do i use the ATA configuration for 1 analog phone?
    - on the Linksys SPA3102 do i plug in the network cable in the Ethernet port or the Internet port on the SPA3102 (going back to the gigabit switch that the 3cx server is on)
    - also on the Linksys SPA3102, does my analog phone connect to the Line jack or the Phone jack on the SPA3102?
    - does the firmware have to be exactly 5.1.10(GW) or can i use a newest firmware or higher firmware?

Sorry if i sound like a newbie on this topic.

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

You can use the ATA port, if you wish. If you just want to use the 3102 as a 3CX trunk, then just disable it.

Gert the trunk working first, then go back and configure the ATA port. Pay attention to the port numbers assigned to each. the 3102 default is 5060 to the ATA phone port (FXS) and 5062 to the PSTN line, (FXO) 3CX trunk. The 3CX default for the trunk was to use 5063, so one had to change.

The network cable goes into the Internet port (The blue one). If you wish to daisy-chain other devices using the Ethernet port you can set the 3102 to Bridge Mode, otherwise the Ethernet port acts as a router with DHCP, probably something you don't want. Be sure you enable the option that allows access from the Internet port. I don't have access to a 3102 at the moment, and i can't remember the exact option name, but if you don't, then you can't change settings from the WAN side.

The Line socket, goes to a phone line (PSTN). the Phone socket is where you will plug in a telephone only if you enable the ATA portion.

I updated all of mine to whatever the last (latest) firmware was. The device had been discontinued, so there have been no updates for a while.

If you run into any issues, post back.

Re-read you original post...did you only want to use the 3102 for an analogue set?

5. mattlok

Hi Leejor,

Thanks for your reply.

I will try to follow the instructions.

To answer your last question, yes I only want to use the 3102 for 1 analog phone.

Panasonic KX-TG4773B
    http://panasonic.factoryoutletstore.com/details/47799/panasonic-kx-tg4773b.html?category_id=18486

So i am assuming I am going to follow the ATA instructions and not the PSTN.

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If you are just using the ATA (FXS) port, then it's very easy. Almost all settings are shared with the SPA-2012 and the PAP2. While a static IP is not necessary, I'd recommend it, as it will be easier to do any changes later.
    You might want to familiarize yourself with the dialling plans used in Linksys devices. It is much better than having to wait for the time-out period when calling.

http://www.toao.net/108-linksys-dial-plan-tips

7. mattlok

hey garyjduk and leejor

thanks for the instructions.

i got everything working using the ATA instructions and the staff in the warehouse are super happy about it.

they can make calls and receive calls anywhere in the warehouse.

now, it got me thinking, is it possible to the 3cx server with the Linksys SPA-3102 at home, but instead of connecting the phone panasonic phone to Linksys SPA-3102, can i connect the house phone jack to the Link SPA-3102 and have the whole house ring to receive calls and call out as well through the house phone jacks.

Right now all the phone jacks at home are connected to a Bell Canada box to send and receive phone calls, can i replace that with 3cx and Linksys SPA-3102?

Just curious as i have read some people attempt this as well but never saw any results.

Either way, the primary issue was getting the panasonic cordless phone to work in the office using the Linksys SPA-3102 and it works great.

Thanks guys :)

Oh yeah one more questions, can i use the grandstream handytone-486 the same way as the Linksys SPA-3102 as an ATA? Since we have the grandstream at work we might as well get that going to, otherwise it will probably go into the garbage.

8. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

It all depends on what you are trying to set-up. If you are going to bring the Bell line, into 3CX (at home server) as a trunk, then use the FXS portion of the 3102, to run to all phones, then yes, it can be done. You might also consider having each phone connected to own ATA (eventually), then put all extensions in the same Ring Group.

What you have to keep in mind, if you go with only one ATA, is the number of ringers. REN number. With new, electronic ringers, it's not much of an issue (unless you have a lot of phones) as each set has much lower ringer current draw, than the older mechanical bell sets. Just try not to overload it.

As far as the Handytone. it will work, but is very basic in comparison. It does lack an internal dialplan, which means that after dialling a number, you have to hit #, or wait for the time-out before your digits are sent. I've had a number of GS ATA's fail on me over the years (older models) , but not one 3102. The power supplies, yes, but not the devices themselves.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.