• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Anyone have phones successfully working Remotely?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbarney

Reaction score
Hello All,

Currently I am using a series of Polycom phones, but whether it be Trixbox, or 3CX, I have been unable to get them to connect to voip solutions reliably outside of the office.

That being said, Does anyone have any suggestions for easy to use, nice phones that work well remotely with 3CX? A client wants a demo and I cant give it to them until I can get this to work.

Thanks.

They would be firewall or networking issues.

With 3CX, you can use the tunnel to minimize firewall, NAT and networking issues.

I tried Nokia E61 from public wifi
but I failed in first try to use other phones without vpn

admin said:
They would be firewall or networking issues.

With 3CX, you can use the tunnel to minimize firewall, NAT and networking issues.
Hi Nick Galea
I Tried to use 3CX tunnel and failed a lot of times
ports 5060:5069, 9000 :9015 and 5080-5090 routed to the server
using stun working but tunnel does not work
do you know a tip for this?

I've had luck with the Grandstream GXP 2000 & BT 101.

mattlandis said:
How do we get remote phones working?
create a windows or hardware vpn to the location that has the 3cx server and then all works perfectly...no sweat.

matt
We need Hardphones works without pc in home or small office
I tried Nokia E61 but we need to use IP Phones
I think it's matter of nat,ports or stun settings

I've heard that Polycom's do not work well with NAT.

That said, we, like Matt, use site to site VPNs to eliminate the issue.

Both the tunnel and even 'normal' UDP work fine for remote extensions. Dbarney/Agalal - you would benefit from a commercial product with a commercial support package. This type of support can not be given online for free. However, i can assure you that there are thousands of installations working just fine with remote extensions. Its one of the key selling points of 3CX or indeed any VOIP PBX.

We are considering the purchase of 3CX, but to do that without knowing we can get some phones working remotely, it would be a waste of our money.

Beyond this, we use Sonicwall's at our clients and ISA in our office. I hear claims that ISA is not supported, which is a huge issue for us.

dbarney said:
We are considering the purchase of 3CX, but to do that without knowing we can get some phones working remotely, it would be a waste of our money.

Beyond this, we use Sonicwall's at our clients and ISA in our office. I hear claims that ISA is not supported, which is a huge issue for us.
Hello Dbarney,
I tried all windows ip pbx and I found 3cx is the best
you can find what you need to know
http://www.3cx.com/support/
also I tried some devices does not listed and it works very fine like planet vip260

Hello Dbarney,
also I have rmote all devices using vpn router
beside I used nokia e61 with out vpn
so I think any device solve the nat will work remotely
so it's not 3cx it's the device you will use

galal202 said:
dbarney said:

Hello Dbarney,
I tried all windows ip pbx and I found 3cx is the best
you can find what you need to know
http://www.3cx.com/support/
also I tried some devices does not listed and it works very fine like planet vip260

I'm agree with Galal202 that 3CX is the best IPPBX based on windows

dbarney said:

We have two remote sites set up with Sonicwalls and site-to-site VPNs working with no problems at all using Linksys SPA962 phones. I've also tested with a Linksys IP330 wireless phone and a few different softphones with no problems.

The VPN eliminates NAT which is where most if not all the issues with remote extensions lie. 3CX's voip client uses a tunnel to duplicate a VPN. I have not played with this much as we have hardware VPNs set up but I could see it being needed if you travel and do not have the ability to create a hardware VPN.

ISA is a bit tricky but you should be able to set up a IPsec VPN to the Sonicwalls. This article refers to a Dlink but it should help: http://www.isaserver.org/articles/2004isadlink.html

Hello
I compeletely agree with Jparisi,Matt and Galal202
it's matter of nat which could be solved by vpn,tunnel,real ip and a lot of solutions
3CX is the best and growing up good and rapid

Having bought the commercial version earlier this week and speaking to Zen (uk reseller), they wouldn't really help with this problem unless we had a VPN from the remote sites. Seems to defeat the object of the software if you need a VPN in place as it reduces the flexibility substantially.

One way or another I cannot get extensions at remote locations to work at all when connecting back to the 3CX server in our datacentre.

Hello Danfoster
the problem in your vpn
because when you use vpn ,settings to local lan like the other vpn side
I installed 3CX several times with vpn no problem at all
my be you have nat or firewall issues
my advice fresh 3cx installed on fresh windows and devices reseted to factory defaults before config
you will finf every thing ok

Yep I know if we use VPN it will be as if the remote device is at the other side, I run an ISP so the network concepts make sense to me :)

The server is on a public IP and my home IP (where I'm testing the remote extension from) has full firewall access to the public IP. I have also wiped all the configs and started again today, still the same problems. VoIP (quite obviously) isn't my area of expertise so I'll end up calling someone in to do this for me, it's just frustrating when one can't get things working.

Dan,

You can do this with a tunnel and without VPN if you want. You can even do it without tunnel, but it depends on your netwoking and nat setup. Obviously these things take time to analyze and therefore a reseller is going to want to charge for the support. But its beyond doubt that 3Cx can support external extensions :)

Simplest to start is with the tunnel - this tunnels all traffic over TCP over a single port.

jparisi said:
dbarney said:

We have two remote sites set up with Sonicwalls and site-to-site VPNs working with no problems at all using Linksys SPA962 phones. I've also tested with a Linksys IP330 wireless phone and a few different softphones with no problems.

The VPN eliminates NAT which is where most if not all the issues with remote extensions lie. 3CX's voip client uses a tunnel to duplicate a VPN. I have not played with this much as we have hardware VPNs set up but I could see it being needed if you travel and do not have the ability to create a hardware VPN.

ISA is a bit tricky but you should be able to set up a IPsec VPN to the Sonicwalls. This article refers to a Dlink but it should help: http://www.isaserver.org/articles/2004isadlink.html

First setting up a VPN is not a fix, it is a workaround. Next, The 3CX would be behind a sonicwall. We would not be having our clients connect into our office with our ISA.

Remote phones are a pretty big deal. I know a lot of companies are able to make these work. I was able to get a polycom to work at home on trixbox at the office, through an ISA (but I am not a linux guru and trixbox requires a certain level of linux comfort).

Requiring a tunnel, or VPN is not great for traveling people. We should be able to grab a phone, plug it into the network, and know it was going to work. Its what I want for our office, its what our clients want for their offices.

Im more than willing to pay for support, but no one is saying it can be done. Everyone uses tunnels or vpn's to 'fix' the issue. So im being asked to spend $150.00, for something that may not be useable without a vpn/tunnel or something. See where I would have a bit of issue with this?

Hello Dbarney,
I told you before I used Nokia E61 connected to 3cx with out tunnel or vpn
I can make a calls like I'm in office ,recive a calls with caller id and The voice more than perfect
so it's not 3CX it's what device you'll use

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Samuel_1997
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.