• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Anyone running 3CX on the cloud?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThomasAJ

Reaction score
I am considering running it on Azure or Rackspace.

Any comments? Gotcha?

Thanks

I have a couple of clients with 3cx sitting in the cloud, whats your question maybe I cab help maybe not

I have just set up VM on Amazon's AWS service.

Installed V12.

How do I set up port forwarding of say 5090 for the incoming tunnel in this environment?

EDIT: Oh I think the required changes are cloud specific. Eg Amazon has something about Security Groups that can allow/disallow in/out traffic.

That is correct each cloud provider has a different firewall mechanism to do port forwarding.

On another note since all of your phones would be remote to this server are you planning on using the 3cx proxy?

There is another option.

We offer a hosted Session Border Controller that allows as many remote phones as you want to connect to your 3cx server without the tunnel or stun. It solves the sip traversal problem and you wont have an issue with multiple phones behind the same public ip at any remote site.

Let me know if you are interested in testing it out!

George
[email protected]

bardissi said:
That is correct each cloud provider has a different firewall mechanism to do port forwarding.

On another note since all of your phones would be remote to this server are you planning on using the 3cx proxy?

There is another option.

We offer a hosted Session Border Controller that allows as many remote phones as you want to connect to your 3cx server without the tunnel or stun. It solves the sip traversal problem and you wont have an issue with multiple phones behind the same public ip at any remote site.

Let me know if you are interested in testing it out!

George
[email protected]

1 .Yes I worked out the Amazon EC2 port business. They have a concept called Security Groups. The open/close ports are set up there and the Security Group is associated with VM/s.

2. Hi Bardissi
I don't know what the '3cx proxy' does. Sorry.
Currently I have the 3CX System running on a physical server located at office A. I have people at offices b and c using the system successfully.
Are you saying a proxy might improve say voice quality or...?

3. About licencing on the cloud. I have heard that cloud servers use varying MAC addresses. Will there be a problem with the licence?

4. Wow I just noticed that this post has been viewed 7421 times and yet only 2 replies.
Would I be correct in concluding that people are interested but no one (or very very few) is running their 3CX System on the cloud?
By 'on the cloud' I specifically mean 'on a virtual machine located on hardware that is not controlled by you'.

Bump

Strange forum/s at 3CX compared to what I am used to. I have an IT background and been on forums for many years but the ones at 3CX have few contributors. Lots of views but no comments and the people who do comment don't really monitor the threads they are in very well.

Hm...I don't get it.

1 .Glad you got the port forwarding figured out.

2. Hi Bardissi
I don't know what the '3cx proxy' does. Sorry.
Currently I have the 3CX System running on a physical server located at office A. I have people at offices b and c using the system successfully.
Are you saying a proxy might improve say voice quality or...?

What a proxy does is eliminate the need for VPN / 3CX Tunnel between the remote site and the 3CX server. What this does is take away the overhead of the tunnel / VPN overhead and allow you to just pass the voip stream directly between the phone and the server.

3. About licencing on the cloud. I have heard that cloud servers use varying MAC addresses. Will there be a problem with the licence?

This could be a major issue since there is a limit of times your license can change mac addresses. If you run into the limit you can ask for 3CX to reset your count if you can give them good reason as to why you hit your limit.

Hi Bardissi

I sent a PM to you but I'm not 100% sure the PM system is working as it seems to be stuck in the Outbox.

Basically I would like to talk to you about hiring you as a consultant. How can we get in touch if the PM system is not working I wonder.

Got it replying back via PM

I set up a test on AWS using the free-tier option.. and would seriously consider running a production PBX there. Seemed lock and load.. and I could probably run our office of 7.. with service desk, for under $20/month easy. I'm trying to downsize our ridiculous rack that others seem to think we need on-prem stuff for. Ugh.

I simply install the 3cx software on the hosted server and place a machine running SPM on site. And everything works great no issues to date. Port forwarding etc stays the same, its pretty much the same as onsite with the exception of configuring the SPM and using a VPN to use myphone application.

SIP Proxy manager...not a fan ; )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.