Appending ring group name after caller id

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by mbaltus, Dec 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mbaltus

Hi,

Currently I'm evaluating 3CX v7.
    In the release notes, I see references to added functionality and solving a bug with respect to append ring group/queue names after the caller id. This is functionality we require before we can implement 3CX. In the demo set-up I cannot seem to achieve this. I would like to see the name of the called ring group (added to the Caller-ID or instead of the caller ID) on the LinkSys phone and/or the soft phone.
    Any help or hints would be appreciated.

Evaluation set-up:
    - VMware Server Virtual Machine with Windows Server 2003 SP2 and all Windows Updates running the latest 3CX server free version without any issues
    - 2x Linksys SPA942 configured as extensions 101 and 103 via auto-provisioning (both internal and external calls can be performed)
    - 1x Soft Phone as extensions 102 (both internal and external calls can be performed)
    - 1 external SIP account to a local SIP provider (i.e. Netherlands - XS4ALL, this works just fine for incoming and outgoing calls through 3CX; incoming calls connected to a ring group no. 800)
    - 3 different ring groups, configured as Ring All with all three extensions added to the group

Thanks,
    Mark

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Matt > if you have a problem with your keys not working contact the following 3CX department : either sales.3cx.com or cm@3cx.com

Mark> You have to go to global settings and check the checkbox "Append queue name to cid" . This will apply for all queues and ring groups.

(For version 8 we are extending this functionality to DID's and DID names also.)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. mbaltus

Thanks to all!
    Must have overlooked that one, but it works perfectly.
    In the mean time requested a demo key and unlocked a lot of new features. I think we have a winner. We will definitely be using this as our new PBX system.

Like Matt I'm interessted in the DID/DDI part of this functionality.

4. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Yes - we added it in Queues and ring groups. Unfortunately we overlooked it for DID's but we will add it for sure.

5. DXS_Matt

Is there an updated timeframe on the v8 release?
    This feature is critical to our rollout of 3CX as we have multiple DID's going to different ring groups and need to be able to identify them.

Thanks,
    Matt

6. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

7.1 will have this feature - no need to wait for Version 8.

7.1 will be out this week. (between tomorrow and Friday)

7. DXS_Matt

nickybrg,

Is there any chance of having a selectable option to prefix the entire CID with the group name?
    As it stands now it would make alot more sense for our company to have the display show RING GROUP : CID instead of CID : RING GROUP

Thanks,
    Matt

8. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi Matt
    At the moment there are not going to be further options added.

However can you explain in more detail what you mean? Can you give a concrete example of this? Based on the amount of requests we receive it could be a viable request that can be added for a next release.

Give me an example based on the following:

If the ring group name for Ring group number 805 is "Sales", and you make a call to the ring group from an extension with a caller ID of "testing" for example you will see the following (if the append Name to CID is on) testing:Sales (CID:RG_Name).

Am I understanding correctly that you are asking to append the CID AFTER the name? ie Sales:testing (RG_Name:CID). But what is the benefit / difference in this?

Thanks

9. DXS_Matt

Yes Nickybrg,

For us the most important part of the CID and RG_Name is the RG_Name.
    I just don't want to have an extraordinarily long CID value to truncate the Ring Group name as it's that component of the rebuilt CID string that will allow our associates to answer calls correctly based on their source.

For example we have incoming DID numbers all going to different ring groups.
    Direct Sales
    Staff Aug Sales
    Company 2
    Support
    Billing

Even though there are 5 incoming numbers, there are but 3 or 4 people answering the lines.
    Being able to accurately differentiate the source Ring Group at first glance is a very important component.
    We honestly could care less if the CID gets cut off, but the ring group identification is an absolute must.

Please let me know if you need more information regarding this.

Best Regards,
    Matt

10. bertbert

Hi ,

i tried using this setting in 7.1 (free version as we are evaluating), i have an external trunk setup to go to a ring group which then includes an extension. With the 3cx softphone even if i have the "Append Group and DID names to caller id on/off" checked ... i still only see the from: XX on my 3cx softphone when it rings through the ringgroup. Am i doing somethign wrong?

It is also VERY important for us since we have 3 people answering 5 different DID's to know which DID is ringing and answer the call correctly .. (ie hello you have reached billing/sales etc..

Is there a chance that this feature only works in the PAID version (even though i am allowed to turn the checkbox on / off)

At this point as far as i can tell this is the ONLY missing feature that is keeping us from purchasing !

11. William400

William400 Well-Known Member

Hi

The 3CX VOIP Client will not show the DID name but the 3CX VOIP Phone will show this.

http://www.3cx.com/downloads/3CXVoIPPhone3.msi

12. bertbert

Thanks, i installed 7.1 and this is working now with the new client. The problem though is that the caller id information is so long that the appended data is getting cut off. Is there a way to have the ring group name first, or allow the phone client to wrap the text ? Ideally it would be great to have this be a setting system wide or by extension .. ie

Show Caller info as:

Dropdown + Dropdown + Dropdown
    None
    Caller
    RingGroup
    DID

So you would would just pick the order by setting each drop down and it would build the string

Also it would be nice if the 3cx assistant showed this enhanced caller id info as well ...

13. bertbert

Hello

Can you give us an idea of when we might expect an update to this feature? ie at the very least being able to show the ring group/did first then the caller id ...

also for did's it would be great to be able to choose whether the did name or # are displayed ...

thanks!

14. DXS_Matt

I have to agree on all of bertbert's suggestions.

These changes along with the ability to alert users via MWI when using Exchange 2007 is a must for us to get the most out of the system.

Matt

15. bertbert

Any chance of an update from 3cx? thanks guys!

16. nathan

:cry: My client has just upgraded and purchased v7 (were running v6 free) to get this feature and now it is not there! The VoIP phone is no good as they don't see the line appearances like the 3cx client. I have just tested and yes, it does show up on the voip phone but you can't see it, by the time it displays the 10 digits of the CID the text is going out of view and you can't change the width of the voip phone.

Can you please tell me when this functionality will be in the voip client. This is CRITICAL.

Regards
    Nathan

17. Vali_3CX

Vali_3CX Well-Known Member
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi, Nathan

The 3CX Voip Phone is not designed to provide the extensions/lines presence status, as its predecesor 3CX Voip Client does - there is nothing to do, sorry.

But, about "you can't see it [the CID], by the time it displays the 10 digits of the CID the text is going out of view", I've attached below a snapshot of my 3CX Voip Phone, where the caller (102) has as CID 0123456789ABCDEFG (on purpose more than 10 digits - fig.1). Therefore, if this is the issue you have, then you can do a quick fix as follows (it's a "hack", but who cares - fig 2)

- download the english translation file - it's a file named strings_en.ini.
    - open it with a text editor
    - search for "call.incomingfrom" (without quotes). You will find something like
    call.incomingfrom = Incoming call:
    - Change the "Incoming call:" to something short, such as "From:" or even you may let it blank
    - On the top of the page set "Author" to, for instance, Nathan
    - save the translation file - or save it as a different "strings_nathan.ini" name, and use it into the phone.

(I forgot, after download, the file will be available in your user's local settings profile, such as
    "C:\Documents and Settings\Nathan\Local Settings\Application Data\3CX VoIP Phone\Language\strings_en.ini")

Hope it will helps.
    Regards
    vali

Attached Files:

18. nathan

So are you saying that the 3CX VoIP client is no longer supported? We have about 25 staff all using the 3CX VoIP client and use the extensions ALL THE TIME! That is a major "PBX feature" and if you are going to drop that then we could just go back to using x-lite and setup all the extensions, groups etc with our VoIP provider. What a waste of $2000 buying 3CX.......

e.g. transferring a call is a breeze when you can just click on the person to dial them, there is no way people can start remembering extension numbers for every staff member, especially in large organisations...

I hope I have missed something here!

Nathan

19. DXS_Matt

Vali, this is great if we were using the softphones.

But the issue is that we absolutely MUST have the ring group information display first in the CID string to guarantee that it's visable to the receptionist.
    Our Linksys phones are cutting off the ring group data in the CID field, and it's making it impossible for our receptionist to know how to answer the phone.
    How can a simple change like this be such an issue?
    Just please give us the option to put the Ring Group information in FRONT of the Name / Number of the inbound calling party so that it shows up like this! "RG : Caller's Name : Caller's #" instead of "Caller's Name : Caller's # : RG".

Nathan, you need to download the 3CX assistant which is a separate application from the voip client.
    It works well enough, there's still some lingering issues with it, but other than that it's got a little more functionality as compared to the older voip client extension list.

20. nathan

I know about the Assistant but it means having to run 2 apps rather than the nice neat 1 app. My client has 25+ staff on the phone pretty much non stop so little things like this do make a big difference.

Also, the assistant doesn't seem to work over the VPN connection. All remote access is done via VPN rather than opening the router up and having look like swiss cheese. I can use the voip phone and 3cx client remotely over the vpn but the assistant just won't connect so not sure what is going on there. Will try the assistant on a computer that is known to work internally and test it over the VPN.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.