Are sound card required on board?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by hpioteput, Nov 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hpioteput

Hello,

Please help.

I have 2 servers under windows server 2008 standard and datacenter.
    Both servers don't have sound card on board.
    Installed 3cx pbx.

On both no sound then I called anywhere. to local number, 999 etc.
    All settings checked, already read this forum.

Please explain are sound card required? In installation help I can't find this info :(

Thanks,

2. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

No sound card is required. The sound card is ONLY required if you plan to install and use the 3CX Gateway for Skype which Needs Skype of course installed on the same machine and in turn Skype needs sound to operate.

You mentioned that they are windows 2008 right? What do you mean no sound? No music on hold or no sound at all when you call 2 extensions?

If you call 999 and you do not hear sound check that you have enabled Desktop Experience in Windows 2008 add features. Enabling this will basically enable windows media player and its codecs - this will let you play mp3 files. (on hold is one of them in a standard 3CX Installation)

If you call an extension and you do not hear speech audio, then you definitely have windows firewall blocking the ports needed for RTP. I would check in that area.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. hpioteput

Thank you for answer.

I'm install Desktop Experience before install 3cx and do all that install needs. Then I call to 999 nothing played.
    Also I'm disabled windows firewall - nothing, still no sound.

In the systray sound icon is disabled (no hargware installed), In control panel then open Sound - no playback and recording devices are fond.

I have no Idea with this issue. Right now lets go to install and test locally in VMware without sound on some OS (server 2008 standard)

4. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

Though you do not need hardware, you still need audio codecs to be installed.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. hpioteput

I'm installed "K lite codec pack also.

Or I need install someone another?

Ans where I can see them?
    In Hardware manager under Sound I'm see only Microsoft created "High Definition Audio Device"
    In local XP I see Audio Codecs... but in serv 2008 only "High Definition Audio Device"

That codecs I need to install and were I can found?

6. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

K-lite should be enough

7. hpioteput

Check firewall settings all some as on local network server 2008.
    Local server 2008 with some settings work fine.

On problematic servers no sound:
    Internal calls:
    101 -> 102 = no sound
    101 -> 999 = no sound

I'm register external VoIP and connect them to 101.
    After call on External number I receive sound (voice mail prompt if 101 disconnected). If 101 registered in 3cx and call to external, after 3-4 long beeps External VoIP provider route call to own voicemail.

Any suggestion?

8. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Do you have stun enabled on the phones?
    What phones are you using? if 100 and 101 are local they do not need stun so switch it off on the phones.

Are both phones on the same network?

Can you open wireshark on the server and see what is happening? About calling 999 - can you restart the 3CX Application pool and try again?

If you create a digital receptionist and upload a file and you try and call it, does the prompt play?

9. hpioteput

All settings and explanation:

Configurations of LOCAL server and DEDICATED servers are SOME (Server 2008):

Created 2 extensions - 101,102 (to connect them used eyeBeam(x-lite))
    extensions configured to prompt voicemail if softphone disconnected (forwarding rules "Simple" sefault).
    Voicemail configured by default 999
    VoIP provider_1: Vonage softphone line number_1 linked to estention 101 (on local)
    VoIP provider_2: Vonage softphone line number_2 linked to estention 101 (on dedicated)
    Outbound rules writed for extention 1

---
    LOCAL server:
    calling 101 and 102 each other - the sound is OK
    calling from 101 to 999 - voicemail prompt played OK
    calling from 101 via "VoIP provider_1" to Regular phone - sound is OK
    Incoming call from Regular phone to "VoIP provider_1" - NO ring on 101 (if 101 connected)
    Incoming call from Regular phone to "VoIP provider_1" - voicemail prompt played OK (if 101 disconnected)

DEDICATED server:
    call between 101 and 102 - NO sound
    call from 101 to 999 - voicemail prompt DID NOT play
    call from 101 via "VoIP provider_2" to Regular phone - Rings are OK, but NO sound after being connected.
    Incoming call from Regular phone to "VoIP provider_2" - (if 101 connected) party on Regular phone hears me, but I don't hear the party
    Incoming call from Regular phone to "VoIP provider_2" - (if 101 disconnected) voicemail prompt played sound OK

In the network settings "STUN server" default 3cx.
    VoIP provider setting -> Advanced -> Which IP to use in "Contact".... = External(STUN resolved)

What I need to do?

Why settings same but work differently?

10. hpioteput

Sorry for inconvenience.

When 3cx Phone System installed on dedicated server in DC and Client located under VPN(OpenVPN) with another servers.

x-lite and eyeBeam not worked at all.

Problem solved. Start use 3cx phone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.