• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Are the dialing tones (during a call) sent from the client?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonA

Reaction score
Are the dialing tones sent from the client? If so, is there a way to change them?

What Im really trying to do is to play a reference audio file from the client to another device so I can test call quality. I thought I could use changing the 'hold' audio file, but thats played from the Server.

If the dialing tones are played from the client and I can change them to a different audio file, im set. Any recommendations?

All advice appreciated,
Jason

Re: Are the dialing tones sent from the client?

mattlandis said:
JasonA said:
Are the dialing tones sent from the client? If so, is there a way to change them?

What Im really trying to do is to play a reference audio file from the client to another device so I can test call quality. I thought I could use changing the 'hold' audio file, but thats played from the Server.

If the dialing tones are played from the client and I can change them to a different audio file, im set. Any recommendations?

All advice appreciated,
Jason

Jason,

the voipclient doesn't play tones (audio for person using voipclient) when pressing numeric keys. I'm not sure why, i think this would be good if it would.

If you need this audio, use the xlite for your test. I does.

Matt
Thanks for the reply Matt. When I connect 2 3CX Clients and press the numeric keypad during a call, I hear audible tones at the recipeint. Each number has a different tone. I can play Mary Had A Little Lamb on the keypad ;) . Im assuming those tones originate from the client. Do you not hear the tones?

I will look into xlite.

Jason

mattlandis said:
hi,

the person press the key doesn't hear the tone for me.

Matt
Hi Matt,

Right. The person pressing the keypad button on the 3CX VoIP Client does not hear a tone. However, the recipient (person on the other end of the call) does hear a tone. Is that not the case for you?

Now, I would like to know how that tone is generated. Does the tone come from the server or from the client. I am going to guess client as when I loaded up the xlite client, pressing on the numeric keypad only generates a tone for the user pressing the button, the tone is not heard by the recipeint. If the tone was generated by the 3CX Phone System Server (like the onhold file is), both clients would act the same way.

Does anyone know how the numeric key pad tones are generated on the 3CX VoIP Client? If so, can I substitute my own audio file in place?

Ive got the X-Lite client running. I dont see any option to replay an audio reference file from it to a SIP recipient. Any advice?

Thanks again,
Jason

Let me rephrase

While a call is connected between 2 SIP clients, if I press one of the numeric keys of the 3CX VoIP Client, the client on the other end will hear a tone (during the call).

1. Are those tones generated on the client?

2. How can I change those tones?

Thanks,
Jason

mattlandis said:
JasonA said:
mattlandis said:
hi,

the person press the key doesn't hear the tone for me.

Matt
Hi Matt,

Right. The person pressing the keypad button on the 3CX VoIP Client does not hear a tone. However, the recipient (person on the other end of the call) does hear a tone. Is that not the case for you?

Now, I would like to know how that tone is generated. Does the tone come from the server or from the client. I am going to guess client as when I loaded up the xlite client, pressing on the numeric keypad only generates a tone for the user pressing the button, the tone is not heard by the recipeint. If the tone was generated by the 3CX Phone System Server (like the onhold file is), both clients would act the same way.

Does anyone know how the numeric key pad tones are generated on the 3CX VoIP Client? If so, can I substitute my own audio file in place?

Ive got the X-Lite client running. I dont see any option to replay an audio reference file from it to a SIP recipient. Any advice?

Thanks again,
Jason

Jason,

>> However, the recipient (person on the other end of the call) does hear a tone.
Yes, your right.

I'm not sure what you are trying to do, but it sounds like you want to call someone and play a message or tones?

Take a look at the NCH IVR. This addon can act like a sip extension and dial up a list of phones and play whatevery you tell it to.

that help?

tx
matt
Just missed your reply.

That sounds right, I will look into it.

Thanks again,
Jason

Nice small little app that will allow you to play an audio file directly from the UI: http://www.phoner.de/index_en.htm

mattlandis said:
JasonA said:
Nice small little app that will allow you to play an audio file directly from the UI: http://www.phoner.de/index_en.htm

Ok, i get what you want to do i think.

You want to be able to press a button on the phone and it will play a message...
hmm...i see

Matt
After thinking through my Operational Scenario, what I wanted most was an answering machine to auto-pickup a call and play a reference file. The IVM Answering Attendant seemed to be the best solution but I could not get it working. I found that phoner.de which also has an answering machine component. Made it real easy.

This thread has gone a bit off track, and I still dont have an answer to where the tones for the 3CX VoIP Client come from, but with some great help from Matt (nice website and business BTW), things have come together with me using my 3CX Phone System and Clients.

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.