Are you using 3CX with QoS ?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by AldoLinares, Nov 15, 2007.

1. AldoLinares

AldoLinares New Member

I was thinking of trying the Linksys SLM2005 and SLM2008 for testing with QoS because they are not expensive.

How are you applying QoS?

2. NMN

NMN

There are several ways of doing it (not necessarily specific or available on the routers you mentioned):

1. The easiest, depending on you network setup, is to run 3CX on a dedicated port and then set the QoS for that port to 'high' and all others to 'low' or 'medium'.
    2. Alternatively you can set QoS by IP. Same as above: Set 3CX' IP to 'high' and make sure no other IP is set to 'high'.
    3. Some routers allow for QoS definitions based on interface (port) and/or packet content. In this case ports 5060-61, 3478 and 10000-2000 (7000-7499, if you rund external extensions) would need to be prioritized in this scenarios, but for standard setups this might be overkill, compared to the first two solutions.

HTH

NMN

3. BendyMetal

QoS

You would also need a switch (and/or router depending on network configuration) capable of QoS. Layer 3 switches usually offer these features, as do some lower price layer 2 switches with management facilities. (Netgear smart switch series for example).

4. AldoLinares

AldoLinares New Member

So then the routers that i was talking about are not going to work that way?

Thanks

5. NMN

NMN

As long as you can connect the 3CX server directly to the router and you don't have internal traffic issues degrading the call quality of internal calls you should be fine without a QoS switch.

HTH

NMN

6. AldoLinares

AldoLinares New Member

What you say is that if i connect to a port of the router, but i will also have the computers connected to the router, what i want is to give priority to the VOIP Lines with the VOIP Provider, we have 256KBPS UP so i want it to work even if someone is downloading something on the network.

What i understand of QoS is that i can do that, for what a read about that switches i can do it.

But i want to know if someone is using it right now and if it's working great or what kind of device do they use.

Thanks NMN

7. Henk

Henk Member

There is a bit more to it than that, connecting a 3CX server direct to a router will not do the trick (if you have network issues).

First a router routes, a switch switches two different things. QoS is good but you have to make sure you can do it end 2 end. If you have devices that are not QoS aware than why do it.

In general to have QoS working sufficient you need the following:
    - QoS aware OS and NIC cards in your server.
    - QoS aware phones
    - QoS aware routers or switches (if you have a network with one IP range you can use the switches, if you need to translate between two IP ranges you use a router. I know this is a simplistic view but it will do for now).
    - QoS aware ISP or more specific the link between your ISP/VSP.

Hope this helps.

8. NMN

NMN

@Henk:

I outlined a fairly specific scenario (3CX server on dedicated port) and for it, adding the additional note 'you don't have internal traffic issues degrading the call quality'. Now, implementing complete QoS on you local network, and there we are in complete agreement, does of course involve more than simply setting QoS for the dedicated 3CX port, but then that is neither what I was trying to accomplish, nor what I believe AldoLionares is looking for.

@AldoLionares:

Yes, I am operating QoS as I described it above (as I don't have any internal traffic issues with my 3 PCs, 2 servers on a wireless G network) and this setup solved all problems I had with loss of registration and STUN resolution. Additionally, as I described in an other thread, I have limited the bandwidth of the 'surfing' computers to 75% of the line speed (done via having the WAP on a dedicated port and limiting that to the 75%, in my case 2Mbps). This will leave plenty of bandwidth any time 3CX needs it.

HTH

NMN

9. epluribusunix

QoS

You may not need to go through much trouble at all. If all you need to do is guarantee bandwidth on the external connection, then a good router is all you need.

I have been using ZyXel NBG-415N wireless routers with great success. They have the ability to prioritize traffic over the WAN link based on packet type, not more general port or IP designations.

Unless, as stated before, you are having traffic issues on your LAN, I would stay away from switches and look at routers.