Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

AREA CODE RESTRICTIONS

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by TOMTECH, Dec 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TOMTECH

Hi, I was wondering if there is a provision for AREA CODE RESTRICTION PER EXTENSION i.e. EXT. 100 CAN DIAL OUT TO AREA CODES 200, 201 BUT CAN'T DIAL OUT TO AREA CODES 202, 203. I've tried several different kinds of OUTBOUND RULES and had no luck, if anyone know's how to do this that would be great, I can't seem to do this kind of thing without effecting ALL EXTENTIONS from dialing out and that is not what I'm looking to do, I just need to RESTRICT certain EXT'S from dialing out to certain AREA CODES and not others. I'am evaluating 3cx ver 6 (FREE EDITION).

Thanks
    Tom

2. Discovery Technology

Hi Tom,

What sort of complexity are you after?

Does each extension require more than one area code, and if so, how many?

I can see that this could be easily done if you need to restrict each extension to a single area code (strip three digits and replace them with the specific area code so that they can only call numbers in that area code).

You could try multiple extensions per handset and restrict each to their own area codes as well perhaps.

ie: 100 can only dial 201
    101 can only dial 202
    etc.

Would this work for you?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. discovery1

discovery1 Member

Hi Tom

I'd also suggest upgrading to version 7 for your evaluation as it introduced a few more granular options for call routing.
    The rules are processed from the top down so you need to make sure your outbound rules are ordered correctly.

As Brendan has mentioned i would think you would be able to create a rule that is based on prefix (area code) and extension number (this is using 3CX v7, v6 has the same features). You then strip off prefixes and replace them, but depending on how many extensions you have this could lead to numerous rules. Multiple Prefixes can be specified in the one rule by separating them with comma's.

Another option would be to create a dummy outgoing VOIP provider or a digital receptionist with a message saying that calls to this prefix are not permitted. Then you could route all "disallowed" prefixes to it - a separate "allow" rule would be needed before this rule (and one for each extension would be needed).

John

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. TOMTECH

Hey John,

I've tried 3CX v7 and it would not register EXT'S or LINES ( VoIP Provider/ Gateways ) at all, I have used the 3CX VoIP Client 7 on both the v6 and v7 installations and 3CX v6 registered EXT'S and LINES just fine, I used the 3CX v6 back-up and restore utility that comes with 3CX v6 on the 3CX v7 installation as well as on the NEW 3CX v6 installation, and the v6 installation works fine.

I gave the dummy suggestions a try, and one works to RESTRICT the EXT from DIALING out at all, I really need the 3CX PHONE SYSTEM to RESTRICT certain EXT'S from DIALING certain AREA CODES, and that's all.

I was able to RESTRICT an EXT from DIALING out at all, but was not able to RESTRICT it from DIALING certain AREA CODES, I thought there might be some OUTBOUND RULE FIELDS I'm missing, one for EXT'S, as well as one for AREA CODES to be RESTRICTED from DIALING OUT but didn't see any, or maybe I'm missing something else.

I would like to combine both if that's possible, EXT'S and AREA CODES, even if it means multiple OUTBOUND RULES,I've tried filling in both fields in the OUTBOUND RULE EXT'S and DIALING PREFIXES and it does not seem to work the way I had expected, I've created OUTBOUND RULES for both, and had no luck with that either.

Tom

5. discovery1

discovery1 Member

Hi Tom

I've just tested my theory and it seems to work.
    I created a generic VOIP provider called "Dummy VOIP" with rubbish details so it won't register or allow incoming or outgoing calls.

I create a new outbound rule called "Restrict extension 101" with the following settings:

Calls to numbers starting with (Prefix) = area codes i want to stop (09,03,04 in my test case)
    Calls from extension(s) = 101
    Make Outbound Calls on:
    Route 1 - Dummy VOIP (strip digits = 0 and prepend = none)
    Route 2 and 3 have no values selected.

I move the rule to the top of the list so it is first to be processed. If i try to make a call to 09123456 it will not let me - it says "Not Available"

If i remove the 09 prefix from the "Restrict extension 101" rule i can then make the call to 09123456 as the first rule is not matched and 3CX moves down the rules to find the next match for routing information. If i try to call the 03 or 04 area codes i am still restricted.

It seems to me you need a bunch of "deny" outbound rules at the top for the extensions you want to restrict and then make sure the rest of the outbound rules below them are configured correctly to allow the calls to get out.

The values in the "Calls to numbers starting with (Prefix)" and "Calls from extension(s)" can be ranges like 101-105,109,111 which may allow you to group similar extensions or area codes under the one rule.

Hope this helps to clarify.

John

6. TOMTECH

Thanks John,
    It seems to work! I think I may have had screwed up the order or something like that. Thanks again.

Tom

7. discovery1

discovery1 Member

Glad to help - it is always good to be able to get 3CX to do things it wasn't originally designed for.

8. kevin

kevin Member

Hi there

There is a simpler, cleaner solution.

The Oubound Rules config allows you to specify which extensions can get to which destinations.

Example:

Calls to numbers starting with: 404
    Calls from extensions: 102-107,403,450-475
    Calls to numbers with a length of: <blank>
    Route GW1 strip digits 0

This will deliver all calls starting with 404 to go out of GW1 (without any digits being removed) - and only extension numbers 102 to 107, or extension 403, or extensions 450 to 475 will be able to use this rule.

Hope this helps

Regards

Kevin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.