Assigning extensions/accounts to a particular line

Discussion in 'Windows' started by ahtllc, Oct 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ahtllc

Is it possible to assign specific accounts/extensions to show up on a particular line?

For example, have extension 1002 show up as Line 1, extension 1002 show up as Line 2, extension 1003 show up as Line 3, etc.. This would give us the ability to distinguish which incoming number was dialed.

Right now I have several accounts with different extensions set up, but they all show up as ringing on Line 1.

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If you are talking about outside lines (PSTN?) ringing in on certain extensions...then it is possible but each line has to come into 3CX as an individual trunk and not as a member of a larger trunk group.

3. ahtllc

What I'm trying to emulate is a feature on my current PBX system. I work from home and have my home lines and business lines running into a Panasonic PBX. At each extension I can see at a glance that Line 1 is the home line, and lines 2 and 3 are the business lines from each phone extension. When I press Line 2 on my phone, it makes an outgoing call on the business line. If I want to make a call on the home phone, I just use Line 1. They also have different rings so I can distinguish by sound also. Currently, the incoming lines are all PSTN.

I was hoping that feature was available with 3CX soft phones, also, since I see the different Line 1 - Line 5 buttons on the phone. I was hoping that I could 'assign' the "Line 1" button on the soft phone to the home phone so that all incoming home phone calls show up on the "Line 1" button and whenever I made an outgoing call on Line 1 that it went out the home line. Likewise, for the business lines, they would be 'assigned' to the "Line 2" and "Line 3" buttons that appear on the soft phone. Lines 4 and 5 could be used for general VOIP calls. I'd also like the CallerID information passed through, but that's another problem.

Since each soft phone can have multiple accounts (hence multiple extensions), I was hoping that there was a way to 'lock' the line buttons on the soft phone to a particular account. Then I could set up one account as the "HOME" account and the other as "BUSINESS". Another way to distinguish is to use different ringtones for the different calls, but that would only help for incoming calls. And, I don't think there is a way to assign different ringtones.

Is this possible currently?

4. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

Best scenario is send each incoming line to a ring group and name it home or business. Then send the call to the extensions.

Then the caller Id will be appended to show that info - home or business

For outbound calls use dialing rules.
    Maybe starting with 8 goes out on business line, and dial 9 goes out on home line.

3cx (and other VoIP systems) can not emulate all features of a traditional PBX always.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If each PSTN line were a separate trunk on 3CX, then each could be set to ring only one extension during an incoming call. In turn, the outbound rule of each of those extensions could be set so that when an outside number is dialled, it only goes out on the outbound trunk associated with that extension. Outbound rules can be made to apply only to one, or certain extensions. It is a "key system" that you are trying to emulate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.