• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Assigning Outgoing PSTN Lines using Patton SN4xxx FXO

Status
Not open for further replies.

neilhooper

Free User
Reaction score
3CXv12

Hi Everybody,

I, like so many others it seems, want to be able to choose which line is used when dialling out on PSTN lines using Patton SN4xxx FXO gateways.

Using some advice from an indirect source to a 3cx partner we have come up with a solution so I thought I would share it with everybody.

This is what I did to get it all working and some of the problems along the way.

1. After successfully installing 3cx and getting softphone extensions to work, some Windows and some Android. I installed the Patton. I went through the normal Add a Gateway Wizard and created the configuration file to upload to the Patton. At first all seemed well; I could dial in on each line without problem and answer and talk to the 'caller' (myself).

2. First problem. When trying to dial out the calls would fail with messages in the Log about Bad Gateways and Timeouts. I'm not going to post the full error messages here, you'll know them when you see them.

3. After searching on these forums I discovered that I needed to add two extra lines to the configuration on the Patton in this section.
Code:
 interface fxo IF_FXO_0
    route call dest-interface IF_SIP_0
    loop-break-duration min 60 max 1000
    disconnect-signal loop-break
    disconnect-signal busy-tone
    ring-number on-caller-id
    dial-after timeout 2
    mute-dialing

interface fxo IF_FXO_1
    route call dest-interface IF_SIP_1
    loop-break-duration min 60 max 1000
    disconnect-signal loop-break
    disconnect-signal busy-tone
    ring-number on-caller-id
    dial-after timeout 2
    mute-dialing

The two lines are exactly the same they are : dial-after timeout 2

That cured the first problem. I could dial out.

4. Next problem, as far as I'm concerned, and quite a few others as far as I can see; is like others, I'm using 3cx at home with a Business line and a Private line. When I dialled out, the first available line was always used and there was no way of selecting any other. My very short term solution was to grab the first line using an extension and then dial out on the next available one which was OK but frustrating, and I've only got two lines. I know a lot of people have four or more.

5. Now the tricky bit. I created another Patton Gateway. My first one had Ports 10000 and 10001. My second one had Ports 10004 and 10005. Basically all references to 10001 need to be replaced with 10004 in the Patton configuration. To do this I exported the Running Configuration and edited it. I also knew that I need to change the password for Port 10004 as it would never register as the password was still the password for Port 10001. The problem is that the password in the configuration file is encrypted and of course we don't know how to encrypt it. This is where it gets long winded. I created the configuration file for the second gateway in 3cx. I then imported it into the Patton and then exported it back out.

In this section :
Code:
authentication-service AS_ALL_LINES
  realm 1 3CXPhoneSystem
  username 10004 password xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx== encrypted
  username 10005 password xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx== encrypted

You will find the encrypted passwords for the Ports. I've removed my passwords for security.

I copied the password for Port 10004 and pasted it into my original configuration file so it now looks like this :
Code:
authentication-service AS_ALL_LINES
  realm 1 3CXPhoneSystem
  username 10000 password xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx== encrypted
  username 10004 password xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx== encrypted

I then imported the saved, original configuration file back into the Patton.

This was a little time consuming and as I have already said, I've only got two lines.

I can't see why this method wouldn't work for 4 lines etc.

By creating some outgoing rules I am now able to select which line I dial out on as the two Patton devices show up in the Outgoing rules. I've used the prefixes of 7 and 8 to differentiate between the two lines.

One thing to remember, check the IP Blacklist in Settings - Security along the way as you may find out that during your time doing this the Patton may try to register when it can't and may get Blacklisted.

I hope this helps somebody.

- Neil

PS. The only problem I now have is how to dial a 7 or 8 and then a number from the phone book; but that's another day !!!

Hi neil,

Thanks for the excellent write-up. It should come in handy for me since I have 4 lines and need to route based on extension for separate businesses. Are you doing a new install? If so, can I ask what you chose for endpoints? I'm having trouble deciding on a good office phone.

Yes it's a new install from scratch and I've decided to use Yealink T26PN for desktop and a W52P cordless DECT. These were by recommendation. We're also using 3CX phone for Android which we have working seamlessly. I was going to go down the Cisco route but I was swayed but the extremely easy provisioning process for the Yealinks, just plug them in assign them to an extension, make any adjustments that you want and away you go. I must say I'm not disappointed. I've got myself a 16 port gigabit switch with 8 POE ports and 8 normal ports so powering everything up is also really simple. One point to note. If you go down the Yealink route, they do not come with power supplies; they rely on using POE but you can get them as an optional extra.

The only other advice that I'd give is to do all the configuring before you actually plug the lines into the Patton, i.e. stay on the old system until you think you're in a position to change over.

- Neil

too confusing for me. anything simpler ?

.... It's certainly a way to do it, however I think it's best to get familiar with routing within the Patton itself. So much simpler after you've done it once or twice (but seems really complicated at first).
The dial-after-timeout you added is usually because the Patton doesn't recognize the dialtone. Do you have the correct tonesets installed, and do you by any chance have a mailbox from the telco on the line that might be giving a stuttered dialtone ?

i would like to thank JasonNadeau for his help in distinguishing outbound caller ID for different ISDN lines in my 3cx system.

happy to help !

.... It's certainly a way to do it, however I think it's best to get familiar with routing within the Patton itself. So much simpler after you've done it once or twice (but seems really complicated at first).
The dial-after-timeout you added is usually because the Patton doesn't recognize the dialtone. Do you have the correct tonesets installed, and do you by any chance have a mailbox from the telco on the line that might be giving a stuttered dialtone ?
Hi Jason I' am also having issues with Patton SN4114/JO/EUI very similar problem can i reach out to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davide.luppi
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.