ATA for Fax

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by jpillow, Aug 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jpillow

jpillow Well-Known Member

I've used a few different ATA's some with luck sometimes others not so much, does anyone have a solid ATA for fax solution?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I've had luck using an SPA-2102 out over PSTN via a 3102. A VoIP provider that I just began using does not seem to support fax (no T.38). An outside call reaches my machine, but it goes through all of the speeds, dropping finally to 2400 before giving up.

3. bardissi

bardissi Member

Dont push fax through SIP or T.38... use HTTPS!!!!(which means not running this through 3cx server)

4. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

jpillow -

I have been using an ATA and Fax with reasonable success (both sending and receiving) for a few months now. PremierVoIP is capable of supporting multiple registrations to a singular account and as a result, where customers are insistent, I will register 3CX with one set of credentials and then use an ATA with another set (Grandstream HT502 in my case). 3cx never enters into the FAX picture and with T38 (allowed) set directly with the ATA, I get pretty good results.

http://www.premiervoip.com
    https://premiervoip.com/
    I have tried using an ATA through 3CX and have limited success, but not nearly as much as this method.

I am even able to use their solution over wireless networks, but I have never seen a "Solid" fax connection to include wired copper as they are all subject to some form of signal issues. There may be other providers who also support this, but I have yet to see anyone advertise as such.

5. efounco

efounco New Member

A word of advice. If you need something reliable, either invest in a single analog line or pay for a http:// FAX service. FAX over VOIP is very unreliable with some FAX machines. It works OK with others...

6. ian.watts

ian.watts Active Member

Indeed, your initial statement is pretty much what my results were after hammering configs on a few different fax devices on a few different 3CX installs, sending or receiving faxes was "inconsistent" at best.. "epic fail" at worst. We started diversifying with different SIP trunks.. didn't help.

PSTN is still the win if you need fax.. the freebie you get for a DSL circuit to run VOIP over seems to work fairly well.. for those who cannot "let go" of fax.

7. bardissi

bardissi Member

I actually dont agree that the PSTN is the only true way to handle fax. We have over 150 HTTPS Fax ATA's out there and we have 100% success rate.

8. countrycomp

Which ATA's are you using for HTTPS ?

9. jpillow

As a general rule of thumb we tell clients to use copper for analog devices, however I've been on the lookout for an ATA that will register to the pbx and send and receive fax via t38 from the voip provider. Still nothing 100% .. :S

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. bardissi

bardissi Member

Dont bother looking for a solid T38 device to connect back to the PBX and work well.

It doesnt exsist.

Look for a solution that handles fax via HTTPS.

We have over 200 HTTPS fax units out there and they are perfect!

11. jpillow

Thanks for the responses I guess it will continue to be an analog line as always.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.