ATA On Cloud 3CX

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by mgi1, May 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mgi1

I'm looking for some kind of solution to use an ATA in a 3CX Linux Cloud Hosted environment. Need the ATA to do faxing in one setup and need the ATA to use with regular phones in another setup. I keep being told that the ATA needs to be on the local network, there has to be some type of work around some where to achive this. Please help, I have some customers I can bring on board.

2. cobaltit

cobaltit Active Member

If you need an ATA then the workaround is to use an ATA.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. mgi1

Do you have a brand name ATA that works with 3CX Linux Cloud Hosted? If you have a solution I would love to hear it.

4. cobaltit

cobaltit Active Member

Any ATA will work with 3CX, regardless of on-premise or hosted. For supported ones you can look here:

https://www.3cx.com/voip-gateways/

But the problem isn't the hardware. Faxing over VoIP is more art than science, and is a lot more sensitive to network quality than voice. Hosted just adds more hops between the ATA and the PBX but otherwise works exactly the same. ATA for analog phones should be fine, but I wouldn't recommend using an ATA to bring POTS lines into the PBX or for a fax machine. For anyone that wants reliable faxing I keep them on POTS.

That being said, for our office we use a couple Grandstream HT701's for an analog door phone and for our fax machine and it works fine. But it's not something install for customers.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. mgi1

Are you on-premise or hosted? Any ATA will not work.
    I've tried the Welltech ATA172Plus and was unable to get it configured to 3CX. Below is what 3CX support said but I'm sure someone figured out how to make it work.

Bobby Jefferson
    , said a month ago

Are there any ATA’s that support remote configuration?

[​IMG]
    Ilias Liotis
    , said a month ago

Hello Bobby Jefferson,
    Thank you for the update,
    Kindly note that all the gateways/atas can only be provisioned as local lan.

6. cobaltit

cobaltit Active Member

As I said, any ATA will work. I didn't say any ATA will provision. Sorry for not clarifying earlier, my setup is hosted.

7. JasonNadeau

JasonNadeau Member

As cobaltit said, they can all register to 3cx. Faxing over ip is iffy, I'm a Mediatrix fan when it comes to that.

8. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I've used the Cisco ATA's quite a bit. Most support t.38 (for fax), but, you may have to configure manually. which While this may be a "complication", isn't really that difficult, and it might be your only option.

9. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

The issue about ATAs is dependent on the use. If you have set-up the ATA as a fax or FXS/DECT extension, then it will need to be on the LAN or VPN as there is currently no way to allow the ATA to communicate to 3CX via the WAN. Unlike normal extensions, the fax and FXS/DECT extensions do not have the setting - " Disallow use of extension outside the LAN". As a result, these extensions are blocked by default with no way to unblock.

This forces one to manually set-up the ATA as a normal extension, but then I do not know if these extensions will relay t.38 for fax. If not, then you are back to G711 which is extremely touchy about faxing and not very reliable....but, it all depends on the quality of the connection (your ISP) and how long of a fax.

10. JasonNadeau

JasonNadeau Member

Just set it up as a normal extension and manually tweak the settings as needed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.